Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > OmniTrax when it was busy, and a special trip

Date: 11/26/14 09:10
OmniTrax when it was busy, and a special trip
Author: valmont

Many years ago I was fortunate enough to be doing a lot of photography of the OmniTrax operation in Loveland, CO. This went on for many years and I ended up with a wide variety of rebuilt/repainted locomotives fresh out of the shop. With the permission of OmniTrax, along with their use of my photos, I was usually informed, in advance, when a 'new' unit would be emerging from the paint booth. I certainly didn't get all of them, but it was still a long list.

In 1995 I was invited, along with others, to ride the 'Appreciation Day' Special described in the invitation shown. It was a fun time and some unusual mileage ...

A couple of examples of what I found fresh out of the Loveland shops during those years are also shown:

1. Southern Pacific Construction Services #502 on May 18, 1995. I believe these units were used for fiber optic insulation along the SP (and others?) ROW.

2. Santa Maria Valley #1801 on a very bright Dec. 4, 1992 morning.

Date: 11/26/14 10:21
Re: OmniTrax when it was busy, and a special trip
Author: CCT41

valmont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> 1. Southern Pacific Construction Services #502 on
> May 18, 1995. I believe these units were used for
> fiber optic insulation along the SP (and others?)
> ROW.
Correct, and went on to be movie stars after that.

Date: 11/27/14 11:36
Re: OmniTrax when it was busy, and a special trip
Author: dcmkris

I'm not sure if it was 96 or 97 (I would need to check my photos), but the SP units spent a bunch of time in the Michigan and Northern Ohio area.

Kris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds