Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP San Bernardino Branch

Date: 12/17/14 13:36
SP San Bernardino Branch
Author: callum_out

At one point prior to being bisected by the Palmdale Cutoff the SP line to North Redlands was
part of the San Bernardino Branch. Here's a series of shots from 1979 with the branch out of
service but yet to be removed.

Out

Date: 12/17/14 13:37
Re: SP San Bernardino Branch

Three more shots of the involved trackage.

Out

Date: 12/17/14 14:10
Author: RplusLJetService

I lived there back then. I would have loved to have seen it during its boom times.

Adam

Date: 12/17/14 14:15

I worked in the area and even during harvest season getting a train was pure luck.

Out

Date: 12/17/14 14:17
Author: aronco

I believe the branch from downtown San Bernardino to Redlands shown in these pictures was actually a PE branch and was active until about 1980. The line West from downtown San Bdno towards Cucamonga ran along Rialto avenue and crossed over the ATSF line at B Yard. That line was abandoned when the Palmdale cutoff was built in 1967. The SP also had a Redlands branch which came off the main line just above Loma Linda and wandered thru the orange groves into downtown Redlands and on up to Mentone. At one time, the PE line crossed the SP line in downtown Redlands.

Norm

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 12/17/14 14:35
Author: spider1319

Cool shots.The line to North Redlands from San Bernardino was listed as part of the San Bernardino Branch in the 1978 LA Division Timetable no. 10 but not listed in the LA Division Timetable no. 11 of April 1980. I remember chasing the local down Rialto to Crown Jewell just before the end and will post a few shots when I find them.Lots of street running on the Branch that at one time served Norton AFB, which had their own engine.Bill Webb

Date: 12/17/14 15:39

Norm, it was listed in the SP Timetables as the "San Bernardino Branch" and
yes it was ex-PE but adsorbed into the SP as listed.

Out

Date: 12/17/14 17:54
Author: railstiesballast

Yes, this is the former PE branch that ran north out of the yard south of G Street, crossed the Santa Fe Redlands on a diamond, turned east on street running then went into Norton AFB. At one time the Arrowhead branch took off from this line. After it left the Air Force Base it crossed the Santa Ana River on this through truss steel bridge (that is still there) then out on to a combination of road-side and street running to reach packing houses on the north side of Redlands.

In 1978 I posed the Geometry Car here, as close as anyone could come to a PE Interurban car for graphic effects. (The devil on my shoulder is whispering that I could make it red in photoshop.)

Redlands had three roads, PE, SP, and Santa Fe, perhaps two more than they needed.
Over in Pasadena there were four: UP, SP, Santa Fe and PE.

Date: 12/17/14 18:22
Author: switchlamp

Good stuff , I wish Steamjocky aka John Edwards was with us to add to these posts.
Tom

Date: 12/17/14 19:25
Author: miralomarail

Here is a Train on that same Bridge, not long before service ended

Date: 12/17/14 20:06
Author: railstiesballast

Thanks, miralomarail, the pipeline on that side of the bridge probably explains why the bridge is still there.

Date: 12/17/14 20:21

Always wondered about the pipeline, there's a tank farm behind the photographer for the base,
was the pipeline water or otherwise?

Out

Date: 12/17/14 20:32
Author: spjim

aronco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the branch from downtown San Bernardino
> to Redlands shown in these pictures was actually a
> PE branch and was active until about 1980. The
> line West from downtown San Bdno towards Cucamonga
> ran along Rialto avenue and crossed over the ATSF
> line at B Yard. That line was abandoned when the
> Palmdale cutoff was built in 1967. The SP also
> had a Redlands branch which came off the main line
> just above Loma Linda and wandered thru the orange
> groves into downtown Redlands and on up to
> Mentone. At one time, the PE line crossed the SP
> line in downtown Redlands.
>
> Norm

The SP Redlands Branch went to Crafton. The Santa Fe Redlands Loop went through Mentone.

More photos from Redlands are here:
http://coastdaylight.com/ljames1/scph_sb_redlands.html

Jim Lancaster

Date: 12/18/14 00:41
Author: mp51w

The adjacent power line can also be a clue to a former electric right of way. Those shots deserve a before and after treatment. There is something about an abandoned ROW shot, like the one with the sand over the rails. Kind of sad, but artistic in a way. Neat stuff!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds