Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Nostalgia & History > Pueblo bound visitors

Date: 12/18/14 06:43
Pueblo bound visitors
Author: santafe199

Here’s a couple of unusual sights at the Emporia passenger station. Image #1 was a shot taken by my fellow KS Gang pal Dave Franz (monaddave) about 4 years before we became fellow Santa Fe brakemen as well. This trainset is headed for the test track at Pueblo. It is only pausing here in Emporia for a crew change. I previously posted this shot in reply to a “valmont” thread from 2 years ago. You can access quite a bit of discussion from this link:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2841319,2841424#msg-2841424

Here is a partial quote from Phil Mason about this equipment:

“The MLW LRC demonstrator pre-dated the production equipment by several years, and did extensive testing in Canada. The coach was [equipped] with test equipment for the power banking mechanism and the electro-pneumatic air brake system. It sat around the CN Tashereau yard in Montreal when not testing, and spent its final years deep inside of Montreal Locomotive Works back lot in Montreal East, finally being scrapped on site. The power banking system for navigating curves at greater speed went through a lot of development, and was prone to failure.”

I barely remember shooting this scene in image #2. An SD39 is leading DOT/FRA car T-6. This outfit is headed for the test track at Pueblo. Santa Fe’s 4000 class SD39s were a pretty common sight on trains bound to & from the Colorado sector, as were the 7500 Class U-23-Cs, 8500 Class U-33-Cs and other odd-ball 6-axle units.

1. LRC 1 + unknown CN cars at Emporia, KS on October 19, 1974.
(photo by David A. Franz)

2. AT&SF 4009 with DOT car T-6 at Emporia, KS on November 12, 1979.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/22 21:40 by santafe199.

Date: 12/18/14 07:49
Re: Pueblo bound visitors
Author: mopacrr

I think the rear car is either CN Bedford or Burrard 7Compartment,Buffet,lounge Observation.

Date: 12/18/14 11:27
Author: monaddave

mopacrr Wrote:
<<I think the rear car is either CN Bedford or Burrard 7Compartment,Buffet,lounge Observation<<

TF -
Photo #1 - I remember writing down Bedford in my notes. Which I have somewhere in the abyss of my hobby room. The guy in the light dress shirt and tie is the Eastern Div. Chief DS (edit R. Polley). Forgot his name, but his kid was a conductor on Middle Div. Seniority District #1, Ray....??.

Photo #2 - From my timebook... Train DSW-L-1, departed Emporia, KS (Sta. # 564) 1359 hrs., arrived Newton Psgr Depot (Sta.# 637) 1506. That's 75 miles in 67 minutes. Conductor S.C Wilson and Engineer J. C. McNee. I was the sole brakeman. We deadheaded home on a 473 train later.

So yes, I have something to do with both photos. Thanks for the memories! (LFG - Don't say it).
Dave in Msla

Postscript... trying to remember the meaning of the train symbol DSW. Nornmaly, Santa Fe would use the telegraph call letters of the initial station, as in AYW, would be Argentine West. DSW was usually reserved for Director's Special West. Hmmm. There were only DOT and Santa Fe MofW people looking things over.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/14 11:59 by monaddave.

Date: 12/18/14 11:51
Author: santafe199

monaddave Wrote:> ... Eastern Div. Chief DS. Forgot his name...

Would Polley be the name you're looking for?

LFG

Date: 12/18/14 11:58
Author: monaddave

Yes, Ray Polley, Senior and Junior.
DAF

Date: 12/18/14 13:47
Author: skinem

"Ray Jay" retired 1-2?? years ago.

Date: 12/18/14 15:20
Author: mt-king

Bedford must have liked Pueblo. It has lived there for the last 6 years.

Date: 12/18/14 16:58
Author: cardo72

Yes, I do believe it is either our car, the Bedford, or the Burrard. I counted 8 windows along the hallway side of the car. There are some roof vents which also align up correctly. My only other reference is the Pointe St Charles which has 11 windows and a couple of other business cars which have 10 windows. Maybe the old car does have an affinity for Southern Colorado.

If anyone is interested, the Bedford is undergoing Amtrak certification and is just getting the final touches to its 40 year truck rebuild done. As part of the certification process, the E coupler on the A end has been removed and an H-type coupler with draft gear is being fitted into place. Both couplers should be completed by 1 February.

Cardo

Date: 12/18/14 18:43
Author: SD45X

I remember when one left for scrap about 6 years ago. Think I put them up here.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds