Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Nostalgia & History > Western Maryland Hagerstown

Date: 12/18/14 10:45
Western Maryland Hagerstown
Author: ClubCar

Here is a photo that a friend gave me. He is not sure about the B&O locomotives being on the Western Maryland back then in the 1950's and I am guessing that they may have pulled a special excursion train originating on the B&O and with the destination of Hagerstown, Maryland they could have interchanged with the Reading in Philadelphia or from the B&O to Cherry Run on the Western Maryland. At that time, the B&O did not usually move a freight train to Hagerstown. It's also great to see a Reading 4-8-4 T-1 in the photo as the Reading did operate through trains to Hagerstown via the WM.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/18/14 15:42
Re: Western Maryland Hagerstown
Author: beertrain

Great shot.

Date: 12/18/14 16:21
Author: GPutz

It is my understanding that the B&O's Hagerstown Branch from Weverton was in service until the mid-'70s. Two or three miles on the Hagerstown end are still in place; but haven't been used in a long time. Gerry

Date: 12/19/14 18:32
Author: Krokodil

The B&O freight came routinely to Hagerstown. Among others there were freight trains to New England running over the alphabet route (Reading, Lehigh&New England, New Haven). The B&O F-units are freight units making a passenger assignment unlikely. In the fifties, the mighty B&O EM-1 (2-8-8-4) had frequently this assignment, sometimes with a WM steamer providing pusher help up to Hagerstown.

Thomas Eckhardt

http://tewe.borail.net

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds