Nostalgia & History > Passengers see a 'Big Sky' in NM too

Date: 12/19/14 04:34
Passengers see a 'Big Sky' in NM too
Author: valmont

three from some of my visits to NM over the years

1. leaving ABQ on July 13, 1969 w/AT&SF #304 on the point

2. Suwanee, NM with Mt. Taylor in the background on Mar. 5, 1990

3. approaching Lamy on Mar. 25, 1993

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 05:22 by valmont.

Date: 12/19/14 04:51
Re: Passengers see a 'Big Sky' in NM too
Author: hwb36604

Two thumbs up!

Date: 12/19/14 05:17
Author: Super_C

Vince,

Picture #2 is actually at Suwanee, NM with Mt. Taylor in the background. Dalies is MP 27.4 while Suwanee is MP 47.2.

Merely nitpicking.

Merry Christmas!

JCL

Date: 12/19/14 05:20
Author: valmont

Super_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vince,
>
> Picture #2 is actually at Suwanee, NM with Mt.
> Taylor in the background. Dalies is MP 27.4 while
> Suwanee is MP 47.2.
>
> Merely nitpicking.
>
> Merry Christmas!
>
> JCL

Thanks, I will correct, I have made this mistake before ...

Date: 12/19/14 09:09
Author: knotch8

I'm on record as saying that Amtrak Phase 3 looks good, especially in a matched set. But after looking at the dirty trains in Photos 2 and 3 (okay, that's a Pepsi unit on the point), and then looking at the unadorned stainless steel and warbonnet units in Photo 1, my vote goes for the paint scheme in Photo 1

Date: 12/19/14 09:40
Author: RRTom

In the first photo, the effect of seeing under the lead wheels of the first unit is very interesting.

Date: 12/19/14 11:00
Author: BoilingMan

The consist in photo 2 is a bit curious with a Hi-Level in the center. My guess is that it's one of the former Hi-Level diners with the 6-wheel trucks. Amtrak butchered them, making a kind of diner/lounge for the Desert Wind, but winter passenger counts on 3&4 were probably low enough that they could have been used as a stand in.
They were really nasty cars after the conversion- I REALLY hated/dreaded working them!
SR

Date: 12/19/14 21:41
Author: BuddPullman

May I suggest, SB, it appears to be a former Hi Level Lounge. Notice the galley window less area on the Amtrak Superliner behind the ex Santa Fe car, likely a Superliner Diner. As for the lounge, you can see the windowless area at one end of the Hi Level Lounge where the Santa Fe gift shop galley were formerly located.

Date: 12/19/14 22:22
Author: BoilingMan

Yeah, I think you're right- I thought there were only 2 cars foreword and aft (2 coaches & 2 sleepers) but I see there are actually 3 cars back there, so you're right. And the ATSF lounges were used as protect cars on 1/2 and 3/4 before they became the California Parlor Cars.
(I worked them several times on 3/4 when I held a regular job in about 1985-86)
Passenger counts on the SW Chief would sometimes fall below 100 in the off season and after the stewards were phased out the diners would be staffed with only a LSA and a single waiter (SA) working just half the car.
SR

Date: 12/20/14 16:03
Author: RodneyZona

Santa Fe RY conductors and brakemen in the first shot were based out of Alburquerque and Winslow and worked between these two terminals. Gallup based engine crews worked between Gallup and ABQ.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds