Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Nostalgia & History > Hope Springs Eternal!

Date: 12/19/14 16:06
Hope Springs Eternal!
Author: dlbowen

I started taking train photos in 1958 and in the intervening years have spent very many hours trackside. Many more hours have been spent looking at ties, rail, ballast, tunnel portals, signals, bridges and many things other than the prize; a train. Case in point, the west portal of Sandpatch Tunnel. I had come to Maryland from California in October 1988 for a convention and had some spare time to spend with my brother (not a railfan), he was persuaded that a trip to western Maryland and Pennsylvania would be worthwhile to photograph the former B.& O. west of Cumberland.

We set up to photograph a WB CSX train exiting Sandpatch tunnel. The tunnel was no problem but the CSX train was a no-show. It was a disappointment as this was my only trip to the location. This was not the last time I have been disappointed but we all keep coming back “Next time will be better!” we think. If a train came every time we were ready to take a picture, there would be no challenge, no reason to keep returning. So maybe the elusive train is a blessing in disguise.

1. West portal Sandpatch Tunnel, to the right my brother, the late George Bowen, exploring the area.
2. The day was not a total waste; CSX 8428 East at Fairhope, PA

Don Bowen
Saint Helena, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/14 16:17 by dlbowen.

Date: 12/19/14 18:57
Re: Hope Springs Eternal!
Author: DynamicBrake

Don, that last shot is really nice. I really like both color schemes so that shot is a winner in my book. Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 12/19/14 23:26
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

I gree with Kent -- that second shot is beautiful
The colors are great!

Date: 12/22/14 06:30
Author: Cajon92

Well said, Don. Great shots.

~Ryan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0332 seconds