Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe Christmas Train, Pre-BNSF

Date: 12/21/14 09:18
Santa Fe Christmas Train, Pre-BNSF
Author: TheNavigator

A week ago there were several posts on the Western board of the Dec. 13-Dec. 14 SoCal trips by BNSF's annual Christmas Train through Cajon Pass and over the former Santa Fe 2nd District. I knew I had a shot or two of the Santa Claus Special/Christmas Train in its pre-BNSF configuration but had forgotten to look for one until now.

This particular shot is the Dec. 16, 1995 version of the westbound passenger special returning to San Bernardino, taken near the Swarthout Canyon Rd. grade crossing in Cajon Pass. (The BN-Santa Fe merger had been publicly announced earlier in the year, but was not yet consummated.)

Nineteen years ago the train consisted of SD75Ms 233 and 216, followed by cars William Barstow Strong, 60, 62, Fred Harvey, Regal Manor, and Regal Lark.

Thanks for looking,
GK

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/14 17:59 by TheNavigator.

Date: 12/21/14 09:36
Re: Santa Fe Christmas Train, Pre-BNSF
Author: C-Scott-Schmidt

Outstanding photo.

Date: 12/21/14 09:44
Author: Ritzville

Nice picture! Wish the warbonnets of today looked like the 233, they be eye-openers.

Larry

Date: 12/21/14 11:37
Author: AlexT

o wow this is one of the neatest pictures I have ever seen, the red and silver is so cool I miss it

Date: 12/21/14 11:47
Author: sd60mac

That is one awesome shot, TheNavigator. Somehow orange and black just doesn't cut it after seeing this. Hope BNSF is paying attention.

Date: 12/21/14 13:02
Author: speederman01

And to think about how excited we are to see a war bonnet now. Someone needs to paint them over just to end their misery! Awesome pic! Dave

Date: 12/21/14 13:12
Author: espeebull

The first word that came to mind when I saw this excellent photo: Pride. Santa Fe had it in spades! Not just by the power, but that whole consist, and most importantly, in its employees. Thank you for sharing this reminder of a railroad that was truly a class act right up to the end.

Date: 12/21/14 14:43
Author: Cajon92

Outstanding photo, Gary.

~Ryan

Date: 12/21/14 15:06
Author: 3rdswitch

Awesome catch! That is some brand new power.
JB

Date: 12/21/14 15:37
Author: tacobell

The trailing unit had a big bow on the nose which was evident on its eastward trip. I caught it heading east dragging it out with an eastbound UP coming up to Devore. Probably the last "true" Santa Fe passenger train to ever traverse Cajon.

Date: 12/21/14 15:52
Author: porkchop

the best looking Christmas train in a very long time !! that brand new warbonnet paint on those EMD supercab units and the stainless steel consist is unbeatable
A ITOD nod for this shot by TheNavigator thanks for posting it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/14 16:01 by porkchop.

Date: 12/21/14 16:26
Author: TheNavigator

tacobell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The trailing unit had a big bow on the nose which
> was evident on its eastward trip....

Indeed it did! Thanks for the reminder!
GK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/14 16:27 by TheNavigator.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds