Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Nostalgia & History > difference of a decade.

Date: 12/21/14 13:26
difference of a decade.
Author: DrLoco

Rather than a specific place, how about a specific train? Anyone else want to show how trains change, even if their symbols do not?! I"m interested!

CSX Q132 north shown 10 years ago and earlier this year...First photo was taken during the "anything that runs" motive power situation at all the major railroads, CSX and UP started a dedicated intermodal train from Laredo, TX to Detroit, MI and back sometime in 2004, I'm kind of in a blur as to when, exactly. ZMXDT/Q132 and ZDTMX/Q131 started out so small, most of the jaded old heads I worked with then didn't give the train much of a chance. I was called off the Indy-East extraboard to run the train to Toledo with some pretty choice (for me, not for the conductor, who was upset he didn't get a "widebody") power in the form of an NS (ex-Conrail) SD50 and a WC SD45. We had stopped at Van Buren, Ohio at Signal 38 on the T&OC (Conrail) Toledo branch--waiting for the B&O mainline dispatcher to allow us across the diamonds at Galatea. It was a good time to take a picture, I thought. Anyhow, It's actually a 2-car train (two 3-tubs making 6 platforms total).
Nowadays, the power seems to be mostly UP power and the train is certainly longer than 2 cars, and I"m the Jaded old head spouting off about "way back when this train had 2 cars!! The longest one I've had recently (Since the indy-toledo run is pretty much my regular assignment) was 48 cars and nearly 9000feet long!
The second photo shows the train rounding Airport curve departing Kenton, Ohio northbound as well.

You never know how the railroad traffic patterns change, but this train has been pretty constant, amazingly enough...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/14 13:30 by DrLoco.

Date: 12/21/14 13:36
Re: difference of a decade.
Author: Zephyr

Very nice reflection through photos and words!

Having negotiated the operation of these trains with CSX and UP, you brought back a myriad of memories involving both roads and the operation of these trains. Obviously, there was always great concern when the volumes were minimal, but, since it was expedited Auto Parts in both directions between Mexico and Detroit (there was also a Chicago section) both roads usually operated the trains best they could in accordance with service design.

Thanks for the memories!

Pete Baumhefner

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds