Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Nostalgia & History > Crawford Memories

Date: 01/26/15 14:12
Crawford Memories
Author: WichitaJct

I lived in Nebraska for 18 years. I made a half dozen or so trips out to Crawford during those years. My first trip to Crawford was in 2003, my most recent trip was in 2013. Note that I did not say my last trip. Even though I now live in eastern Kansas, I still entertain the notion of one more trip to Crawford. It’s an even longer drive now, probably 11 hours instead of 8.

In 2003 the typical helper set was 3 SD60s and a fuel tender. By 2006 or 2007 the fuel tenders were gone as a fuel storage facility had been built and that made the fuel tenders unnecessary. The typical helper set was no longer just SD60s. Ex-Santa Fe SD75s and Oakways became common. By 2009 the EMDs were gone as helpers sets now consisted of two GE made orange colored toasters. Oh, well progress I guess. Of course it makes economic sense to use two locomotives instead of three. But I guess it’s human nature to lament the passing of the old ways. When I was a teenager, and had yet to see a steam engine under power, I just couldn’t understand how “old guys” could mourn the passing of steam and berate diesels. But I would go back to Crawford in a minute even if most of the EMDs are gone and there are pumpkin toasters everywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/15 14:13 by WichitaJct.

Date: 01/26/15 15:17
Re: Crawford Memories
Author: tgcostello

Great photo at Belmont. Would love to see some of your other photos from Crawford Hill.

Tim Costello

Date: 01/26/15 15:26
Re: Crawford Memories
Author: WichitaJct

Another photo from Belmont. A cloudy Memorial Day, I believe 2006. A WB train will soon be heading down grade to the town of Crawford.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/15 15:26 by WichitaJct.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0313 seconds