Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Nostalgia & History > Early image of the "General"

Date: 01/27/15 16:31
Early image of the "General"
Author: KMiddlebrook

Based upon the scene, it appears the "General" was on tour. Any ideas?

Date: 01/27/15 17:49
Re: Early image of the "General"
Author: TonyJ

Could also be the gentlemen seated in front particpated in capturing the "General".

Date: 01/27/15 18:00
Author: 1200v

I believe that this is at a GAR (Grand Army of the Republic), the Union Civil War veterans fraternal organization, encampment. Encampments were annual meetings held every year from 1868 to 1949.

Date: 01/27/15 18:09
Author: hogheaded

I've seen that inked-in face of the guy on the tender before. Really! The photo must have been in "Civil War Railroads", or some like publication. Kinda spookey.

In 1888, the General was taken to the G.A.R. convention in Columbus, Ohio, and given its patriotic decoration in the photo - and the fact that it had a diamond stack at that time, which it lost subsequent to its retirement in 1891 - I'll lay even money that this is the deal.

Date: 01/27/15 18:37
Author: lwilton

Note that the banner text on the side of thee engine is also hand inked. It looks like the emulsion used wasn't real good at capturing certain important color differences, and the photographer had to supply them by hand afterward. I suspect that face was inked in because it would have looked rather strange to be completely blank.

Date: 01/27/15 19:12
Author: miniempire

Does anyone know the significance of the anchor on the front of the loco?

Date: 01/27/15 20:18
Author: hogheaded

miniempire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know the significance of the anchor on
> the front of the loco?

Victorian parlor syndrome, I would venture.

-E.O.

Date: 01/28/15 12:34
Author: retcsxcfm

The "General"that was in the War is now on display at the
Natural History Museum in Kennsaw,Ga.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 01/29/15 12:15
Author: moltensulphur

UJ you've got the right location but the wrong museum. It is at the Southern Museum Of Civil War And Locomotive History, Kennesaw, Ga.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0329 seconds