Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another update on Rock Island E units

Date: 01/28/15 16:30
Another update on Rock Island E units
Author: depotdan

Subject: Rock Island E units and Rocky Mountain Rocket mishap at Norton, KS

Thanks to all of you who have donated so far.

A former Rock Island executive has offered a matching grant for donations made to restore these two locomotives. We need a total of $250,000 by end of June. By next week, we will have paid nearly $100,000 toward the goal and have a grant application in for hopefully a sizeable amount toward the balance.

This former Rock Island executive will match the next $10,000 donated to the cause.

In a somewhat related note, about 45 years ago former Rock Island dispatcher Jim Corder told me about the night when he was a kid, the westbound Rocky Mountain Rocket struck a gas truck outside of Norton, KS, killing the engine crew. Here are a couple of photos that I recently received for the museum collection:

Contributions needed for Rock Island E Units restoration.

Mid-American has been very patient with me by storing the two Rock Island E units (E-6 #630 and E-8#652) for some time. They need room for other business now so we have to get the project going. Cosmetic restoration and FRA compliance is to be done to each unit starting soon. The cost will be just under $125,000 for each unit and the project must be paid in full by end of June. We will be applying for various grant funds, but really need some assistance in raising the necessary money for this project. Contributions are tax deductible.
We can provide a PayPal invoice with an email address and contribution amount.
Thanks
Dan Sabin

Manly Jct. Railroad Museum
c/o Daniel Sabin
305 2nd St SE Ste 400
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
United States
Phone: 319-297-6000
dsabin@iowanorthern.com or no17eng654@aol.com
Non-Profit Contribution Tax ID: 26-0459009

Date: 01/28/15 17:23
Re: Another update on Rock Island E units
Author: Bob3985

As I recall one of the engineers I worked with told me about a mishap where a Rocket struck a Shell fuel truck at either Atkinson or Annawan, Illinois too.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/31/15 23:50
Re: Another update on Rock Island E units
Author: Odyssey

Thank you for posting the images ... sad to be a witness now so many years after the fact, yet those involved in the recovery were dedicated ... a reminder that after all, things have not changed when it comes to the first responders ...

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds