Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Nostalgia & History > American Orient Express in Nampa Idaho

Date: 01/29/15 16:21
American Orient Express in Nampa Idaho
Author: cp-453

These are photographs I took of the American Orient Express here in Nampa some years ago.
I don't know why it routed on this Union Pacific line. The Idaho portion is not very photogenic.
Sorry, the date was not recorded. Maybe someone knows when this occurred.
The location from which I took the photos is now chain link fenced.
The Type of Amtrak locomotives could be a clue. A little internet research indicated
that the train was discontinued in 2008 due to the downturn of the economy.
The equipment was sold or scraped. Anyone know when and where?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/15 16:46 by cp-453.

Date: 01/29/15 16:54
Re: American Orient Express in Nampa Idaho
Author: RFandPFan

Here are some photos of the AOE passing the site of the old Potomac Yard in Arlington, VA (Crystal City) northbound going to DC on March 15, 2002.

Date: 01/29/15 16:55

Date: 01/29/15 16:56

Date: 01/30/15 13:34
Author: andersonb109

What a great train it was. I was fortunate to be able to do two trips towards the end. Too bad it never really seemed to be successful. Not sure the downturn had all to do with it. It always seemed to struggle even before that time. As for the equipment, wasn't much of it sold to Ross Roland for use on the never started Greenbrier train? Many cars were gutted and then re-sold a few months ago? I do know for certain the two Great Domes were sold to Grand Canyon Railway. Completely re-built and at least one is now in premium service there. Not sure about the "New York" ex. "Hickory Creek". Of course it's sister "Sandy Creek" operates as a PV in its original configuration.

Date: 01/30/15 22:29
Author: bwyrick

I believe Hickory Creek is NS CEO Wick Moorman's personal private car. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Brody Wyrick
Reno, NV

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds