Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sunset On The Southern

Date: 01/30/15 20:19
Sunset On The Southern
Author: Rathole

Our good friend Lance (santafe199) has posted a few slides from his "cull" collection that have taken on a new life thanks to modern technology. Earlier tonight while rummaging thru my collection of Kodachromes, I came across this one that has never been used in any of my slide shows that I can recall, despite its being taken in Oct 1973. I always thought it was too dark, even for that "mood" shot that magically transforms a crappy slide into a good one. However, after doing a little tweaking, I think I like this image for the first time in 41 years! It's a westbound Southern Railway freight led by GP38-2 #5059 at White Siding in east Memphis. The apartment buildings to the left, relatively new when this was taken, are all gone now and a big shopping center is now in the background. Here the last rays of the day's sun light up the nose, and green signal lights (plus green flags for daytime running) indicate a second section of this train to follow. Glad I didn't toss this one out now!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/15 20:24 by Rathole.

Date: 01/31/15 06:51
Re: Sunset On The Southern
Author: santafe199

Heroic save! It's scary to think of the overall number of slides that got tossed into oblivion by all of us railfans back in those days. Ouch!!

Lance

Date: 02/01/15 12:08
Re: Sunset On The Southern
Author: SD45X

Love the mood it sets....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds