Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Nostalgia & History > Historic Graffiti

Date: 03/03/15 05:26
Historic Graffiti
Author: wpjones

Here's a photo sent to me a couple days ago. The info was provided by Dave S.

Here is some graffiti done by a "historic minded " artist. The ARMN car looks to have its white paint breaking up showing(on the right)the under layer on an orange UPFE car and (on the left) the under layer of an blue "Cold Train Express" car. This guy went to a lot of work, but I am impressed on his historical background of his art piece. Who says UPFE is gone from railroading?!?!?!?

Date: 03/03/15 05:51
Re: Historic Graffiti
Author: hogheaded

To quote Kent Dorfman from Animal House: "Oh boy! This is gonna be good!"

EO

Date: 03/03/15 06:25
Author: wabash2800

Please....

Date: 03/03/15 08:22
Author: asheldrake

Sunday I returned from a trip to India....mostly visiting historic sites but also a train ride and some train viewing. On multiple India freights I noted that there was absolutely NO graffiti. I made the comment to our Indian tour guide about that and that we always had graffiti on our freight cars...his response, "I thought you came from a civilized country". Boy did he nail me with that one. Yes, still trying to get my clock back to Portland time........ Arlen

Date: 03/03/15 09:24
Author: P

asheldrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sunday I returned from a trip to India....mostly
> visiting historic sites but also a train ride and
> some train viewing. On multiple India freights I
> noted that there was absolutely NO graffiti. I
> made the comment to our Indian tour guide about
> that and that we always had graffiti on our
> freight cars...his response, "I thought you came
> from a civilized country". Boy did he nail me
> with that one. Yes, still trying to get my clock
> back to Portland time........ Arlen

As you know, in today's America, you can do almost anything you want without major consequences. Prisons too crowded? Lets release some folks so that it doesn't get too 'uncomfortable' for the prisoners. Oh and make sure they get cable TV for the ones left. And on, and on, and on...

Graffiti on railroad property? Well, these youth just don't have anything else to do. It's not bothering anyone..

Date: 03/03/15 09:53
Author: rschonfelder

But a Railfan shows up for a one second photo and he gets the left arm of the law come down on him. The guy who did the graffiti? ... no worries, have at it all night.

Rick

Date: 03/03/15 10:01
Author: DrLoco

<sigh> here we go...

Date: 03/03/15 10:12
Author: 4451Puff

I'm happier living in a country where the majority of residents enjoy indoor plumbing, and a rattle can of paint doesn't cost a half a days wages. As for the reefer car; good talent, wrong way to express it.

Desmond Pratezel, "4451 Puff"

Date: 03/03/15 10:56
Author: Geodyssey

Criminal vandalism.

If this is acceptable, why not sing the praises of derailments caused by vandals? Someone could even re-enact a "historic" derailment- it's art, and history!

Graffiti and it's application are safety hazards. It imposes costs on railroads, other companies, and taxpayers. It should be discouraged and the criminals prosecuted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 10:56 by Geodyssey.

Date: 03/03/15 16:06

You know, we are not alone. I was recently involved in a major festival with my niece, who is an art teacher and has a couple of businesses associated with art. Anyway, someone wanted to do something like that to the side of a building as an exhibit for the festival and my niece and other artists on the board said NO. The way I understand it, they felt allowing such an exhibit would condone such vandalism.
Sorry, folks, but it will always remind me of the ghetto, a deplorable way for people to live with not much hope for escape.

Date: 03/04/15 16:43
Author: garr

wabash2800 Wrote:
> You know, we are not alone. I was recently
> involved in a major festival with my niece, who is
> an art teacher and has a couple of businesses
> associated with art. Anyway, someone wanted to do
> something like that to the side of a building as
> an exhibit for the festival and my niece and other
> artists on the board said NO. The way I understand
> it, they felt allowing such an exhibit would
> condone such vandalism.
> Sorry, folks, but it will always remind me of the
> ghetto, a deplorable way for people to live with
> not much hope for escape.

So there is still an organization out there with a backbone and character. Your niece or anyone else from that board willing to serve the voters in DC?

Again, graffiti only started to appear widespread on RR equipment beginning in the late '90s. It is not a security issue from the railroad perspective as the public had much more access to the railroad property prior to 9/11. It is a society issue that has developed over the past decades along with particpatation awards and the fear to offend.

Have to admit though the criminal who painted that car was creative. He or she needs to redirect their talent to something legal.

Jay

Posted from Android

Date: 03/04/15 18:09
Author: 494

None More Evil, NMELINES...

wabash2800 Wrote:
>, a deplorable way for people to live with
> not much hope for escape.

Date: 03/05/15 10:41

Translate please?

494 Wrote:
> None More Evil, NMELINES...
>
>
> wabash2800 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >, a deplorable way for people to live with
> > not much hope for escape.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1138 seconds