Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some of my first attempts at Digital Photography

Date: 03/03/15 14:15
Some of my first attempts at Digital Photography
Author: ns2557

Back in 2003 I was just discovering Digital Photography. Still shooting film, but thought Id' attempt some digital. So while back in Pa for a visit, I borrowed my brothers Sony Mavica Digital Camera. Yeah, it used the old Floppy Disc's. Really something. Yesyterday while looking for something else, I happened across a box that had the floppy disc's in it. Took em down to one of the Computer Shops here in town to see if they could transfer them to a CD for me. They had some success in doing so. While some leave alot to be desired I thought I'd share 3 of the better ones from that first foray into the digital world for me. Here we go...

Shot 1. CP Rail was still running a SB train down the NS Buffalo Line from up north. In a rather heavy snow storm, I found the CP 5623 leading 5676, 5876, 9008 passing the NS Fuel Island in Hbg Pa in Jan 2003. The "Red Barn" 9008 was a surprise, but I do recall seeing a few of these on these trains at times, so not too rare.

Shot 2. On January 30, 2003. Up by my old child hood haunts, I found this Ex Rdg/ CR SW1001, now NS 2100 near the Fuel Island also. This is the ex RDG 2625/CR 9400 from what I can tell still on the active NS roster.

Shot 3. A SB 11R perhaps on the Buffalo Line at Ft Hunter, just north of Rockville. UP 4771 leads the train today. Also in JAN 2003.

All inall, not a bad start to the digital world of photography for me. That Sony Mavica my brother had was a beast as camera's go. And the optic's on it were not the greatest. But I still got hooked on it back then. Thanks for looking. Ya'll take care. Ben

Date: 03/03/15 21:26
Re: Some of my first attempts at Digital Photography
Author: africansteam

Early digital photos were usually very lo-res by today's standards and many cameras had problems with both focus and exposure but looking back the results could be remarkably good as your photos demonstrate. It's always good to look back.

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/15 07:37 by africansteam.

Date: 03/04/15 04:38
Author: oklachaser

Neat photos Ben.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/04/15 14:10
Author: tq-07fan

It's hard to believe that digital has been around long enough that the photos are of the 'you can't do these again' variety. Interesting selection and they certainly look good enough here. I almost bought a new digital camera in 2003 when several K-marts were going out of business around here. I think I was there one day and came back three days later and the entire stock of cameras had been purchased. Instead I bought a new all manual Vivitar and used slide film heavily for the next five years. In 2008 I bought a Nikon D40 to take a few digital pictures on a five week trip that I had brought 200 rolls of slide film on. Two days in I took the shot of a Toronto streetcar in the snow at night and the conversion to digital was sudden and complete. It is hard to tell what would have happened had I got a the early digital camera at Kmart in 2003.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds