Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1956 excursion: Where is SP 2476?

Date: 03/04/15 23:45
1956 excursion: Where is SP 2476?
Author: Evan_Werkema

On May 5 and 6, 1956, the Central Coast Railway Club and the Pacific Railroad Society ran a trip called the "Spring Fever Excursion," described in the flyer below. John Plytnick was on this trip, and the Western Railway Museum Archives has a few color photos he took on both days. The photo below is from the second day, which the flyer describes as a "fast run" from Monterey to San Luis Obispo, CA. It was taken somewhere between Castroville and Santa Margarita on the SP Coast Line, but I haven't been able to figure out just where. Anyone recognize this scene?

Date: 03/05/15 00:04
Re: 1956 excursion: Where is SP 2476?
Author: The_Chief_Way

What a wonderful scene.....and people "wandering" all over the property.

Date: 03/05/15 15:01
Re: King City
Author: timz

Think that's an oil column next to the water column?
In 4/54 the only oil between Watsonville Jct and
SLO was King City.

The King City pic on p53 of the Coast Line Pictorial
shows the light pole etc-- and those trees or
whatever they are directly down the track.

What bridge is the doubleheader on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/15 15:02 by timz.

Date: 03/05/15 16:53
Author: kilroydiver

Hi Evan,

The photo in the flyer shows engines 2915 and 2374 on the Davenport branch, the trip was on April 25, 1948. It ran San Francisco to Santa Cruz/Davenport. The trestle shown is the Wilder trestle.

Dave

Date: 03/05/15 17:35
Author: TonyJ

kilroydiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Evan,
>
> The photo in the flyer shows engines 2915 and 2374
> on the Davenport branch, the trip was on April 25,
> 1948. It ran San Francisco to Santa
> Cruz/Davenport. The trestle shown is the Wilder
> trestle.
>
> Dave

I agree with Dave. Also, the second photo was taken at Rincon on the Olympia Branch (ex-San Jose-Santa Cruz Line).

Date: 03/05/15 23:09
Author: Evan_Werkema

Thanks for the King City suggestion, timz. I was leaning in that direction, but couldn't find any landmarks to line up with those in the 1956 view. I just went searching for "Hotel El Camino Real California" on Google and came up with a postcard from King City that appears to show the same building as the one to the left of SP 2476:

https://www.cardcow.com/508463/hotel-camino-real-king-city-california/

Thanks also for the photo ID's in the flyer. Just for reference, this is what the Wilder Trestle photo runby looked like for the 1956 "Spring Fever" trip:

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0561 seconds