Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Nostalgia & History > Twenty years ago on the BN Idaho "funnel"

Date: 03/25/15 16:05
Twenty years ago on the BN Idaho "funnel"
Author: Super_C

On May 13, 1995, we have BN Train #7 crossing Lake Pend Oreille looking back across the lake towards Sandpoint, Idaho.  A very nice place to spend time between May and October. 

Date: 03/25/15 16:21
Re: Twenty years ago on the BN Idaho "funnel"
Author: MartyBernard

That's a shot I always wanted to get but always was passing through and never had the time to sit there and wait.  But you captured the scene well with good spring afternoon sunlight.  Thanks for posting the shot.

Marty Bernard

Date: 03/25/15 21:52
Author: bradleymckay

Excellent photo John!

Allen

Date: 03/26/15 06:11
Author: march_hare

Great shot from one of my favorite locations.  I want to buy one of the houses that stand up in the woods in the right of this photo.  They could be some of the best railfan homes I've ever seen.

Somebody should buy one and make it into a railfan condo/timeshare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/15 06:12 by march_hare.

Date: 03/26/15 09:31
Author: TAW

That's about the spot where I had to send the hook to change out a locomotive traction motor and wheelset about 30 years ago. The engineer said that they were stopped because the rear unit had six inch flatspots, but not six inches long, six inches deep from the rim. Apparently, the crew was in full FLOW (Failure to Look Out the Window) mode and didn't notice anything until a condition that was way beyond safe to move. I called the Parkwater (Yardley roundhouse) foreman. He said that was a pretty incredible story, but he needed to see it; he'd call me from there with what to do. After arrival at the scene and a short recon, the foreman called me to tell me to order the hook, the unit wouldn't stay on the railroad if they tried to move it.

TAW

Date: 03/26/15 13:04
Author: nite-train

Is that former GN or NP tracks?

Date: 03/26/15 15:32
Author: Super_C

nite-train Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that former GN or NP tracks?

NP

Date: 03/26/15 21:15
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice catch.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds