Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Nostalgia & History > Brandon center-cab engine at Clay Center, KS, in 1982

Date: 03/25/15 18:03
Brandon center-cab engine at Clay Center, KS, in 1982
Author: JoCoLB

The Brandon Railroad was a short-lived operation in North Central Kansas soon after the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad was liquidated.

Brandon operated on a stretch of track between Clifton, Kan., and Manhattan, Kan., from mid-1981 until the early part of 1982. Serviced were a few grain elevators and other small industries. The line was later abandoned.

The three attached photos show a Brandon center-cab locomotive, No. 424. parked in front of the former Rock Island depot in Clay Center,Kan., in January of 1982.  My understanding is that this ALCO-built locomotive was manufactured in November of 1966 for the Rock Island. 

Anyone have the full history on this engine, including whether or not it still exists?

(Photos by Larry Byers)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/15 18:04 by JoCoLB.

Date: 03/25/15 18:20
Re: Brandon center-cab engine at Clay Center, KS, in 1982
Author: callum_out

See the bridge over the tracks in pic 2? Well everything else rail is gone!

Out

Date: 03/25/15 18:30

Here's a photo of the restored Rock Island depot in Clay Center, along with a former Union Pacific Railroad caboose that remains on static display. The depot is used for offices. This photo was taken in June of 2011. (Photo by Larry Byers)

Date: 03/25/15 18:47
Author: Milwaukee

Brandon 424 is the unit that is now rotting away on the BNSF west of Argentine in the Kansas City area.   At least its still with us for now and relatively intact. 

Date: 03/25/15 18:56

When did you last see the engine on the siding at Morris, KS? There have been reports that it was torched into pieces in recent weeks. There was also a picture on Trainorders in recent years showing that the engine at Morris had a painted number of 421 on the side. I've also received information that the frame number on the abandoned junker had a frame number that matched a company number of 424. Is there anyone who really knows the full story on 424 and 421?

Date: 03/25/15 19:16
Author: UP951West

The late Tom R. Lee ,a good friend of mine ,was the driving force behind saving and restoring the depot and the caboose. UP 951 West out.

Date: 03/25/15 19:27
Author: Bob3985

Ah yes, the infamous ALCo C-415's. The Rock Island had several as well.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/25/15 20:55
Author: SCAX3401

JoCoLB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Brandon Railroad was a short-lived operation
> in North Central Kansas soon after the Chicago,
> Rock Island & Pacific Railroad was liquidated.

Believe it or not, but the Brandon Railroad still exists today.  After they gave up or lost the operation on the ex-Rock Island trackage (Kyle took over for awhile), the Brandon Railway relocated to South Omaha, were they exist today as a terminal switching operation.  Last I heard, they had a single GP9 locomotive.

Date: 03/25/15 21:13
Author: CPR_4000

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah yes, the infamous ALCo C-415's. The Rock Island
> had several as well.

I think this unit is ex-RI.

Date: 03/26/15 06:15
Author: march_hare

Pretty sure this is the one that spent a few years as the shop switcher for a coal gon-repair facility in Miles City, MT.  I caught it at work up there in the mid 80s.

Date: 03/26/15 12:01
Author: DrLoco

The reporting marks BRAN are also attached to several thousand pacer stacktrain intermodal cars...I didn't even make the connection till now--thanks!

Date: 03/26/15 21:41
Author: SD45X

I heard the one west of Argentine was cut up finally. Lee from Bowser was out measuring it. Think it was a post here even.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds