Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Nostalgia & History > Needles District/Sub fans - a PLETHORA of vintage maps

Date: 03/29/15 08:30
Needles District/Sub fans - a PLETHORA of vintage maps
Author: ATSF100WEST

I tripped over this the other day. Includes old Auto Club and USGS Topos. How valuable was the discovery?

I never knew that the Danby Road crossing was part of the old highway (prior to paved 66)!

Nor that there was a tunnel for the old highway (mile 17.1) out of Needles coming west!

Also included are some rare images and a great narrative.

Have fun - I poured over these for HOURS!

http://www.americanroads.us/forum/index.php?topic=236.0

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/15 08:34 by ATSF100WEST.

Date: 03/29/15 08:49
Re: Needles District/Sub fans - a PLETHORA of vintage maps
Author: goneon66

wow, what a great link!  thanks........

Date: 03/29/15 14:02
Author: nycman

Bob, what a collection!  As a map nut I am very interested in them.  Must spend more time perusing them. 

Date: 03/29/15 14:18
Author: ATSF100WEST

One more comment - EACH map is downloadable as a super high resolution scanned .jpeg file!!!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 03/29/15 15:48
Author: coach

In my travels to Amboy and Goffs, I always suspected that the original road never crossed the AT&SF @ Amboy, but instead continued straight ahead, parallel to the tracks, crossing the line later on.  The first maps confirm my suspicions.

No wonder the Okies coming west feared the desert--crossing it was a true risk to life and automobile, especially in the searing heat.  Seeing the trains whisk by must have made it even harder.

Date: 03/29/15 18:29
Author: kneemeister

I took a day out of my Disneyland trip Oct before last and ended up between Amboy and Goffs. to this midwestern farmboy it was a far cry from watching trains on the Chicago Line in Bryan.  Infact my wall photo above my Desk is of BNSF 7681 heading east across a wash, passing a train going the other way.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds