Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Nostalgia & History > Then & Now in Coffeyville, KS

Date: 04/26/15 19:55
Then & Now in Coffeyville, KS
Author: santafe199

During my recent chase of the WSOR 101 deadhead move through southeastern Kansas I had the occasion to stay one night in Coffeyville, KS. This is a crew change terminal, formerly for the Missouri Pacific on the main line between Osawatomie, KS & Van Buren, AR. It’s still a crew change terminal, but now for Union Pacific of course. Before retiring I buzzed around Coffeyville to look for possible night time photo ops. I was surprised to see this ancient Mop freighthouse building still standing. I remembered seeing it the early 1980s, but IIRC it was not being used by the Mop back then. I set up the tripod and fired off a couple of shots. I didn’t realize I had just shot a then & now comparison until I went digging through my “MP misc scenes” Logan box. So here is a totally accidental then & now from 3+ decades ago…

1. Former Missouri Pacific freighthouse now a “Supersweet Feeds” business. [date: August 10, 1982]

2. Former Missouri Pacific freighthouse now a vacant building(?) [date: April 16, 2015]
(2 photos taken in Coffeyville, KS)

Thanks for looking back & forth!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/22 20:42 by santafe199.

Date: 04/26/15 20:38
Re: Then & Now in Coffeyville, KS
Author: ATSF93

The depot used to house the dispatching office of the SK&O. There has since been a fire, and the building sits vacant.

Fred in Wichita

Date: 04/27/15 01:18
Author: BaltoJoey

Date: 04/27/15 19:39
Author: Evan_Werkema

No doubt made of Coffeyville VB&T Co. bricks! 

Date: 04/27/15 20:19
Author: KskidinTx

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No doubt made of Coffeyville VB&T Co. bricks! 

Evan, your "wit" continues to amaze me.  Have about 7,000 of their platform bricks stacked out back.  A few have raised lettering, most are indented.  A few have "Coffeyville" abbreviated.

Mark

Date: 04/27/15 21:00
Author: Evan_Werkema

KskidinTx Wrote:

> A few have raised lettering, most are
> indented.  A few have "Coffeyville" abbreviated.

I like the ones that say "Vitrified Brick & T. Co.," as though they expected to spell out the whole name and then realized about the time they got to the ampersand that there wasn't enough space.

I'm still looking for a photo that shows the whole Santa Fe brick depot that once stood in Coffeyville.  Found a couple of partial views, but none that show the whole thing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds