Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Nostalgia & History > Three SP U33Cs in San Jose

Date: 04/27/15 08:38
Three SP U33Cs in San Jose
Author: MaineLines

Southern Pacific Extra 8649 West departs San Jose Yard for Oakland, CA in April of 1979.

Date: 04/27/15 11:33
Re: Three SP U33Cs in San Jose
Author: TCnR

That's some serious trackwork. It's also during the prelude to the no money era.

Date: 04/27/15 13:05
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Most interesting is the track work to the right of the units in the second photo. How often have we taken a locomotive down that path ??

Date: 04/27/15 13:44
Author: WAF

I'm assuming the train has just turned the corner at Santa Clara and is on the Mulford Line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/15 13:44 by WAF.

Date: 04/27/15 13:51
Author: ShastaDaylight

MaineLines,

Thanks for sharing these images! I always liked the U33C, although feelings among operating personnel varied on SP's early GE diesels. It was sad how SP let these engines deteriorate when many of them had years of life left. Recalling how dominate the SD45 was on SP lines around the Bay Area, I always looked forward to see the big U-boats on the Mulford and Decoto Lines, as well as the occasional unit that would show-up out in Tracy, up at Roseville and the like. These photos bring back happy memories from the very late 1960's and early 1970's, when the U33C's were new and before SP had allowed the units to deteriorate as shown here... Thanks again...

ShastaDaylight

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds