Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Nostalgia & History > Any ICG Fans out there?

Date: 04/28/15 09:57
Any ICG Fans out there?
Author: cdub

I have always thought the ICG of the 1970s had an amazing variety on its diesel roster. It doesn't seem like it gets much love from railfans.

Just wondering if there have been any good roster books on the ICG. I do know there have been a number of articles on various ICG diesels over the years in Diesel Era magazine.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/29/15 02:42
Re: Any ICG Fans out there?
Author: loopy7764

Not to seem discouraging, but I've read several times through the years, that the IC/G is the least modeled railroad. I too wonder if a good roster book has been made for ICG, and the GM&O too.

Date: 04/29/15 08:30
Author: ntharalson

To respond to both these messages, I did a lot of shooting along the Iowa Division when I lived in the Waterloo
area in the early 1980's.  At first, all we saw were Paducah rebuilds and 9600 series GP38-2's.  (I have numerous
shots of 9600, the "Casey Jones," but can't post them now.)  As the 1980's advance, we saw a much more
diversified roster including GP30/35/38's and SD40's still painted for GM&O.  Since I had jsut left areas where
two trains a day was a lot(!!), I was a happy camper.

As for a roster, the old Extra 2200 South magazine published a complete roster of Paducah rebuilds plus the
newer ICG power over three issues in the mid-90's, unit by unit.  I'll try to have the exact issues tomorrow but
where you'll find copies I have no clue.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/29/15 09:53
Author: rantoul

Search of TO Nostalgia & History exact phrase 'Illinois Central Gulf" returns some fine previously posted photos and information.

Date: 04/29/15 10:44
Author: pismopete

Like Nick, I lived and grew up along the IC Iowa Division, but I moved to California in 1963 before ICG.  But I am still a fan and modeler of both IC and ICG.  There aren't any IC/ICG roster books like SP-BN-UP, etc have, but there have been several nice pictorial books done.  Jim Boyd did "Illinois Central  Monday Mornin' Rails" which is mostly IC, with ICG mentioned in the end.  Also, Kirk Reynolds/David Oroszi did "Illinois Central  North of the Ohio River" for The Railroad Press in 2003 which despite it's title, covers alot of ICG.  A really nice book!

Peter Arnold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/15 10:45 by pismopete.

Date: 04/29/15 19:00
Author: Alexmarissa

A few years ago, a companion book to "IC North of the Ohio River" covering the IC South of the Ohio was released. Can anyone provide info on the contents of that book?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/29/15 19:49
Author: cdub

Is this the book your talking about?

http://www.karensbooks.com/store/products/ProductDetail.php?ProductID=7878

Alexmarissa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few years ago, a companion book to "IC North of
> the Ohio River" covering the IC South of the Ohio
> was released. Can anyone provide info on the
> contents of that book?
>
> Posted from iPhone

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds