Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maroon Monday (+ some blue)

Date: 05/04/15 09:42
Maroon Monday (+ some blue)
Author: santafe199

Let’s take peek back at some olden times through Jim Watson’s camera. Pictured here are those thing-a-muh-jiggers that used follow along behind a train. They used to work for that mighty fine road, the Rock Island. But now they work that yellow outfit. Rumor has it these contraptions used to carry real-live train crews… ;^)

1. UP 24603 sits idle with four other former Rock Island cronies on the caboose track in Council Bluffs, IA on April 9, 1980.
(photo by James W. Watson)

Thanks for looking back at the maroon & the blue!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Watson (UP6900)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/22 21:02 by santafe199.

Date: 05/04/15 09:47
Re: Maroon Monday (+ some blue)
Author: RI768

Thank You!

Date: 05/04/15 10:09
Author: ghemr

Until now I never really knew that the Rock Island used those marker lights on the top of their cabooses---very similar to SP's.....

Date: 05/04/15 10:32
Author: santafe199

CSX_ENG Wrote: > ...I never really knew that the Rock Island used those marker lights...

I believe those markers were attached after the UP merged them into their caboose roster. I did a quick browse through my CRI&P caboose file and couldn't find any bay window shots with the markers...

Lance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/15 10:33 by santafe199.

Date: 05/04/15 11:05
Markers
Author: Bob3985

When I worked for the Rock 1972-76, we never had those markers on our cabooses. The SP pool cabs had them and we would use them. I wonder if those weren't a part of the Rock Island/ SP pool of cabooses. We had to carry the hard placard markers on our cabeese, at least on the Illinois Division.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/04/15 11:06
Author: twin_star_rocket

You didn't look hard enough. 8^)

Brian Ehni

Date: 05/04/15 11:08
Author: twin_star_rocket

Here's one of my own, shot in Owatonna, MN.

Brian Ehni

Date: 05/04/15 12:11
Author: bnsfsd70

Yup.  Here are three from my Dad's collection (Ken Carlson) that all have those markers on the roof.  Lance/Jim, thanks for posting the interesting shot.  As a fan of the Rock and patch jobs of any sort, this is certainly interesting, if not a bit sad.

- Jeff Carlson

twin_star_rocket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You didn't look hard enough. 8^)
>
> Brian Ehni

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds