Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Nostalgia & History > Your shipment may be delayed...

Date: 05/04/15 13:40
Your shipment may be delayed...
Author: MtVernon_Tower

Santa Fe lost money on this one. 
Back in July of 1993, they were detouring on the UP Overland route and then through the Feather River Canyon to get to Richmond, Ca. One of the westbound intermodal trains, pictured here at Rich Bar in the canyon, is actually moving backwards because of a derailment in a tunnel ahead of the train. It was moved back to Virgilia to wait for the track to be cleared.

Adam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/15 13:42 by MtVernon_Tower.

Date: 05/04/15 14:42
Re: Your shipment may be delayed...
Author: CrudPunko

Very interesting. Love the solid Warbonnet consist including the GP60B

Date: 05/04/15 21:50
Author: rob_l

At one point during the ATSF detours over UP, the UP delivered a 198 train to ATSF at Stockton and delivered a 199 train to ATSF at Barstow.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 05/04/15 23:54
Author: ProAmtrak

I bet Santa Fe wasn't all too pleased with that!

Date: 05/05/15 06:29
Author: Cajon92

Great shot, Adam.

~Ryan

Date: 05/05/15 08:27
Author: ntharalson

This detour was a part of the flood mess of 1993.  The Santa Fe detoured everywhere, north over the BN's
main to the west coast and down the "Inside Gateway"; south through Louisville and Memphis and hte
"Blue Streak" route, over the UP/CNW "Overland Route" and others documented in an issue of TRAINS
magazine at the time.  The Santa Fe got severed in two places that year.  The best known is the Ft.
Madison crossing of the Mississippi which was out at least a week. (CRS is in full effect at this point,
and I don't have the issues handy to check my memory.)  They were also severed at the Grand River
crossing between Mendon and Bosworth, MO, for another week.  There are photos out there, not in my
collection, of "Warbonnet" engines in St. Paul, MN, Kentucky, and even one of the FP45's going 
through Cedar Rapids.  So, we can conclude that Santa Fe didn't make a lot of money during the 
spring and summer of 1993.  However, they paid their stock dividends.  I know that because I owned
stock in the road at the time.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.032 seconds