Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Nostalgia & History > Little remarked CRI&P

Date: 05/20/15 18:07
Little remarked CRI&P
Author: tomstp

A not often photographed train , the Twin Star Rocket of the Rock Island leaves Dallas, Tx southbound on its run to Houston Tx in the early 1950's.  It's competition: T&NO's Hustler and the Ft Worth & Denver trains..

I always thought the early diesel paint scheme of the Rock Island was a classic.

Date: 05/20/15 18:52
Re: Little remarked CRI&P
Author: nite-train

How about the KATY and the MOP, did they run from
Dallas to Houston? I think Santa Fe only ran from
Fort Worth to Houston.

Date: 05/20/15 19:01

Katy did not have a direct line from Dallas  to Houston as the T&NO and  CRI&P/FW&D lines did. The Katy route was over a hundred miles longer and went the way of Taylor and Elgin Tx before going from there to Houston..    Neither did the MP, fact is the MP didn't serve Dallas.  It did have a line to Ft Worth that came through Waco.

Date: 05/20/15 19:08
Author: millerdc

Guess technically the MP did not serve Dallas, but its wholly owned subsidiary, T & P, served Dallas from the east.

Date: 05/20/15 19:24

Technically yes, but it had no line from Dallas to Houston either.

Date: 05/20/15 20:33
Author: MojaveBill

I agree on the paint scheme...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/21/15 09:04
Author: milwrdfan

Interesting.  I've never seen pictures of the 675-677 outside the Chicago commuter areas.

Date: 05/21/15 21:16
Author: UP951West

One of my favorite passenger trains. I model this train with #677 F-7 A-B . What kind of consist would this train have in this era ?
Thank you for sharing this image !  --Kelly

Date: 04/14/16 20:25
Author: TikiOwl

Rode this train numerous times between Houston and Des Moines. The last time was the week before it was cut back to Dallas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/16 20:26 by TikiOwl.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds