Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF Escondido Branch

Date: 05/21/15 12:23
ATSF Escondido Branch
Author: spider1319

Three views from 1993. The first view is at the long gone Sandhouse between milepost 3 and 4.This was a problem area for water and mud/sand slides and slippage. The second ,I think is milepost 11.5 and the last at Escondido switching one of the feed mills.Correct me if I am wrong. Third Switch is an expert on this branch so maybe he can  help out.With not good labeling it is hard to remember.Service at the time of the pics was three times per week to Escondido and two and sometimes three times per week to Miramar.The train originated at Fallbrook Junction.Bill Webb 

Date: 05/21/15 13:16
Re: ATSF Escondido Branch
Author: SP8595

Nice views of a couple of Santa Fe GP39-2's! It took me a second to figure out what looked different with the Santa Fe 3607, the top corner of the cigar band logo above Santa is filled in with blue!

Date: 05/21/15 16:08
Author: 3rdswitch

No expert but I am pretty sure your locations are correct. Really enjoyed working that local, it was a great job, even though it was an eighty five mile one way drive!
JB

Date: 05/21/15 16:24
Author: Evan_Werkema

SP8595 Wrote:

> Nice views of a couple of Santa Fe GP39-2's! It
> took me a second to figure out what looked
> different with the Santa Fe 3607, the top corner
> of the cigar band logo above Santa is filled in
> with blue!

Every so often they'd forget to mask one of the "knockouts" in the emblem before shooting the blue.  GP50 3827 ran around for a while with the upper right filled in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/15 20:32 by Evan_Werkema.

Date: 05/21/15 17:06
Author: SCKP187

Nice views. The territory looks to have some pretty good grades to it.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/21/15 17:58
Author: PHall

SCKP187 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice views. The territory looks to have some
> pretty good grades to it.
> Brian Stevens

It does. In the 2% plus range.

Date: 05/21/15 18:32
Author: callum_out

Pretty sure that third shot is in the downtown Escondido yard, remember when trains on the line ran
in the 60-80 car range during peak produce season, everything from citrus to avacados. There was
quite a building boom in the area for years and the inbound lumber would run 10-15 cars per day.

Out

Date: 05/21/15 22:47
Author: ono

Not absolutely positive but the third photo looks like the facility located where the tracks crossed Washington Avenue.  This view would be looking southeast with Talone Meats behind the photographer.  The spot is now part of the NCTD Sprinter facility.
Thanks for posting these.  I wish I had taken more photos during that time.  The older I get the harder it is to remember what the lline looked like.
Chris

Date: 05/22/15 00:16
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

That line has changed just a tad since you took those photos!  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds