Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Nostalgia & History > Al Chione Dupe Slide: PRR 11DB Sleeper "Elberton"

Date: 06/30/15 11:54
Al Chione Dupe Slide: PRR 11DB Sleeper "Elberton"
Author: Rainier_Rails

Awhile back, I purchased several lots of Al Chione duplicate slides of passenger cars on eBay: 60 GN, 80 CB&Q, 60 AT&SF, and 40 PRR.  I've scanned and uploaded these slides to RR Picture Archives, and have posted them as embedded URL links on Railway Preservation News (RYPN).  However, there is one image that at this time I would like to be able to identify the photographer, and perhaps even the exact date.  The location was identified by RYPN member "ctjacks" as "likely taken near Union Interlocking in Rahway, NY".

Among the 40 Pennsy slides was one of the 11 double bedroom (11DB) sleeper Elberton, PRR #8337.  It was originally a 10 roomette-6 double bedroom (10RM-6DB) sleeper built in 1949 by Budd in Lot #9662-025 to Plan #9503, 1 of 6 such cars (#8333-#8338) built in that Lot to PRR Class PS106B for the SAL pool.  SAL also ordered 6 Plan #9503 cars (#38-#43) built in Lot #9662-026.  After suffering fire damage, the Elberton was rebuilt by P-S to 11 double bedrooms, Plan #9542, PRR Class PS11.  The Elberton was renumbered to PC #4381, and was sold in 1973 to Amtrak as #2239.  The Elberton was stored in October 1981, and I don't have any further disposition info.

At some point in the near future I will probably start posting these Al Chione dupe slides on here, in the same sequential order I listed above, as they have been previously posted elsewhere.

Posting from Estes Park, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/15 17:23 by Rainier_Rails.

Date: 06/30/15 12:22
Re: Al Chione Dupe Slide: PRR 11DB Sleeper "Elberton"
Author: monaddave

Rainier_Rails Wrote:
>> "ctjacks" as "likely taken near Union Interlocking in Rahway, NY".>>

Perhaps a typo, but should be Rahway, New Jersery. You are showing NY.

Sorry, can't help with who may have taken this photo.
Dave

Date: 06/30/15 12:29

Dave,

You're right, should be NJ, not NY!  Didn't catch that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/15 17:15 by Rainier_Rails.

Date: 06/30/15 13:49
Author: retcsxcfm

I posted some information about the Elberton on the western board I think,if not look
under the N&H board.Search Elberton or my name.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 06/30/15 14:38
Author: BaylorMax

The Northern Pacific during the summer months ran an 11 double bedroom sleeper from Chicago to Billings.  It handled Yellowstone National Park passengers during the park season.

The NP did not own any 11 double bedroom cars.  They used UP cars and one summer's evening I found and photographed the Elberton parked at the Billings depot.  I had no idea how rare the car was.

Steve Barkley, MMR

Date: 06/30/15 16:40

Steve,

Thanks for posting your shots of the Elberton in Billings!  For whatever reason, I haven't previously seen any photos of the bedroom side of this car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/15 17:15 by Rainier_Rails.

Date: 07/01/15 12:08
Author: philgos

A mutual trade between the NP and IC.    IC provided the 11 Double Bedroom cars, painted in NP green livery, in the summer months.  IC  "BENTON"  was one car used in latter years.  There were other IC cars used each season.

In return, the NP loaned  IC 2 dome Pullman cars for use in the heavy Winter travel  season between Chicago and Miami, on the "City of Miami" train.  At one time, a third car rotated on the "Panama Limited", but only on one set of equipment.  The NP cars had to be painted in IC orange and brown.   So these NP dome sleepers and the IC "11 DBM" cars had to be the most repainted cars in streamliner history.

I'll try to dig up the "BENTON" in NP green when I get a chance.

Phil G.

I

Date: 07/01/15 17:44
Author: BuddPullman

• Yes, I recall the Elberton being assigned radomly to the Amtrak National Limited and coming out to Kansas City from New York on rare occassions. I recall being intrigued by this unique car.  Thanks for sharing the photos!

Date: 07/01/15 19:04
Author: BuddPullman

• Yes, I recall the Elberton being assigned radomly to the Amtrak National Limited and coming out to Kansas City from New York on rare occassions. I recall being intrigued by this unique car.  Thanks for sharing the photos!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds