Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Nostalgia & History > Two Original Metroliners in Maryland

Date: 07/02/15 15:06
Two Original Metroliners in Maryland
Author: MartyBernard

1. Penn Central 858 with Amtrak's 5 pm Metroliner from Washington at Seabrook, MD on March 15, 1972.

2. and 3. Penn Central Metroliner Train 2001 at Baltimore, MD on January 19, 1969.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Date: 07/02/15 15:16
Re: Two Original Metroliners in Maryland
Author: knotch8

Wonderful photos.

The crossings were restricted to 110 mph until Hill Meade Rd, just north of Seabrook, became the last one to close.

What photos of Baltimore Penn Station!  The first one is from Guilford Ave., I think, looking north toward Union Tunnels.  The second one is from Guilford Ave looking south.  The tower is the now-demolished Union Interlocking tower.  That end of the station is now called Paul Interlocking, for St. Paul St above.  The old B&P Interlocking on the south end of Baltimore Penn Station has been called Charles Interlocking for several years, for Charles St above.

Date: 07/02/15 16:37
Author: pilotblue

Marty,

The first photo brings back memories. My friends and I would always combine a trip to the P.D. Crafthouse (our best local train shop) with some trackside time at Seabrook. Once we watched a coal train come off the Popes Creek branch with sparks coming off a wheel bearing. We went and told the tower operator who was grateful and pissed at the same time, but he gave us some railroad paperwork and let us take some pictures inside. Good Times there!!! Thanks for posting the PC stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/15 16:38 by pilotblue.

Date: 07/03/15 07:29
Author: RickL

Yes - many memories. I lived on Lanham Severn Road just before the shopping center. Walked to PD Crafthouse (and the Drug Store) at least once every two weeks. You could stop at the Highs Dairy Store right off that siding and watch the parade. The Y to Popes Creek in Old Town Bowie was a block from my best friend's house. And Pizza at the Rail Road Inn - mmm.

RickL

pilotblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marty,
>
> The first photo brings back memories. My friends
> and I would always combine a trip to the P.D.
> Crafthouse (our best local train shop) with some
> trackside time at Seabrook. Once we watched a coal
> train come off the Popes Creek branch with sparks
> coming off a wheel bearing. We went and told the
> tower operator who was grateful and pissed at the
> same time, but he gave us some railroad paperwork
> and let us take some pictures inside. Good Times
> there!!! Thanks for posting the PC stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/15 07:30 by RickL.

Date: 07/03/15 12:15
Re: Maryland grade xings
Author: timz

The 1983 timetable says 80 mph at Hillmeade and
Glenndale Rd-- no restriction in the 1969.

Date: 07/05/15 22:25
Re: Maryland grade xings
Author: RickL

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 1983 timetable says 80 mph at Hillmeade and
> Glenndale Rd-- no restriction in the 1969.

There was a bad derailment at Glenndale Rd in the early 70's. Probably the cause for the speed restiction.

RickL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds