Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Nostalgia & History > IC transfer

Date: 07/02/15 18:17
IC transfer
Author: Bob3985

I was over on the south side of CHicago at the GTW's Elsdon yard catching their power and trains when this IC transfer showed up delivering its transfer. A cow/calf on the head end and the cab on the rear. This was taken in 1975 after I had applied at the UP and was back home working for the Rock again.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/02/15 19:30
Re: IC transfer
Author: ghemr

Thanks for posting these photos------I never knew the ICG delivered interchange to the GTW at Elsdon! Any idea the route they took to get here??

Date: 07/02/15 20:28

LOL, I don't have a clue and I was surprised as well. This road crossing was on the south side of Elsdon as I recall. You can see the old crossing guards shack behind the caboose.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/15 20:32 by Bob3985.

Date: 07/03/15 07:16
Author: Englewood

Interesting pictures.
The IC and GTW normally interchanged at Harvey.
If I had not read the caption I would have thought these were taken
at 137th St. in Riverdale or perhaps on the GTW at Halsted in Phoenix.

The lack of sidewalks and what looks like the tracks crossing the street
at an angle have me puzzled.  Also, 51st and 55th Sts. had actual gate towers.
The two story brick building the the background does look familiar but I can't place it.

Very interesting.

Date: 07/03/15 07:41
Author: ghemr

Without insult to the photographer, I too am convinced the photo is taken at 137th St in Dolton. The building directly in front of the locomotive was named the Wonder Bar (Old Style Beer sign blocked by locomotive).......

Date: 07/03/15 07:58
I stand corrected

CSX_ENG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Without insult to the photographer, I too am
> convinced the photo is taken at 137th St in
> Dolton. The building directly in front of the
> locomotive was named the Wonder Bar (Old Style
> Beer sign blocked by locomotive).......
CSX is correct. I recall traveling over to Homewood to shoot the IC and this was taken over that way instead at Elsdon yard. I will have to pull up the shots I took of the GTW to show the similarities. Thanks for your help CSX. I owe you. Come on to Cheyenne to collect.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/15 07:59 by Bob3985.

Date: 07/03/15 17:36
Re: I stand corrected
Author: Englewood

There are many similarities to Elsdon.
I looked at the pictures way too long than I want to admit trying to fit them to Elsdon.
If it wasn't for the IC power I probably would not have questioned it.

The building housing the tavern does look like similar to the one behind the depot at Elsdon.
I wonder if there was a "railroad standard" tavern design just as many railroads had standard
building designs ? ;)  I think there was one at Broadway in Blue Island of a similar design.

Leave it to a sharp eyed hogger to know the name of the tavern !!  Probably a question on
the physical characeristics test. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds