Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot & More Friday – Warden, Washington 6/21/15

Date: 07/03/15 09:08
Depot & More Friday – Warden, Washington 6/21/15
Author: terrybaker

On the way home from last month’s MRHA Convention I decided to revisit Warden WA to follow up on several locations that had piqued my interest during the bus tour.  All photos taken 6/21/15, and we’ll start off with the preserved-but-relocated MILW depot:

1) thru 3) Warden WA MILW depot.

Date: 07/03/15 09:09
Re: Depot & More Friday – Warden, Washington 6/21/15

4) thru 6) Warden is an operations hub for the Columbia Basin Railroad.  They like SD9’s, and it looks like some MRL graduates will continue doing what they do best.  EMD sure got it right with that model!

Date: 07/03/15 09:12

7) ex-NP line looking North; CBRW now only goes as far as Schrag and Moses Lake (via ex-MILW), but the NP used to make a big loop from Connell to Cheney.  Eastern Washington Gateway Railroad now operates the Cheney-Coulee City segment.

8) ex-NP line looking South, ultimately ending up in Connell where the CBRW interchanges with the BNSF.  At one time there was a MILW/NP diamond on the south side of Warden, still visible on Google Maps.

9) Some NP veterans rusting away in a scrap yard.

Date: 07/03/15 09:13

Off topic alert!!!  I’m intrigued by interesting signs/situations, so here are a couple that I found in Warden:

10) & 11) Spudnik Equipment Co.  The Idaho-based company still exists, but this dealership is closed.

12) Pretty clear message here, and certainly no exaggeration; this was a grab shot from my car.

Date: 07/03/15 09:15

Last but not least, train orders copied at the Warden depot.  During the summer of 1959, MILW SD7 No. 511 was a regular on the 5th and 6th Subdivision Branches that originated in Warden.  On Aug. 1, 1959 he had work on both the Moses Lake and Marcellus lines… fading out and transitioning into my exploration of the remnants of that very same Marcellus Branch, coming soon to this very same forum!

Images 13) thru 15) MILW Warden WA clearance + orders 618-43 addressed to Work Extra 511 on 8/1/59.

Date: 04/15/16 07:39
Author: BAB

Two additions to the thread, one is that the company making potato equipment I think started out in Warden, the other is north of Warden on the NP line there is a track that goes towards Ritzville for a ways and dead ends up in the wheat country I think. Back in the early 50s an NP steam engine split a switch and two were killed in the roll over of the engine. Was I think in 52 the year before I moved there.  I cannot remeber which went up in the wheat country and served the grain elevators but it just ened and there was no way to turn after getting there. Also all work on the engines that I have seen done is out in the open where they are shown sitting. Another side note, one day there were three diesel units MLW ? that derailed at the station heading towards Othello the first buried up to the hand rails. The station has been moved by the way about 100 yards away from its original location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds