Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Nostalgia & History > Movie Mystery

Date: 07/03/15 15:39
Movie Mystery
Author: Rainier_Rails

I was just flicking through the channels here, and I caught a glimpse of an old black & white movie, specifically a train robbery scene with SP Class P-5 Pacific #2444.  The channel line-up is a little mixed up, so I can't determine what network it was, or even the name of the movie.  Anyone familiar with what movie this is?  Thanks in advance!

Posting from Estes Park, CO

Date: 07/03/15 15:58
Re: Movie Mystery
Author: railstiesballast

Might have been "White Heat" with George Raft.....was it near a tunnel?

Date: 07/03/15 16:12
Author: Cupolau

It's on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) and no commercials to deal with."White Heat" with James Cagney and Virginia Mayo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/15 16:17 by Cupolau.

Date: 07/03/15 17:25
Author: Rainier_Rails

Thank you for the responses!

Posting from Estes Park, CO

Date: 07/03/15 19:00
Author: BaltoJoey

"Look Ma! Top of the world!"

Date: 07/03/15 23:24
Author: TCnR

Curious so I looked at Google and Wikipedia:Production notesWhite Heat was filmed between May 5 and mid-June 1949.[4] Filming locations included the Southern Pacific railroad tunnel in the Santa Susana Mountains near Chatsworth, California, and the Shell Oil plant at 198th Street and Figueroa in Torrance, California, where the final climactic shoot-out was filmed.[5][6] The outdoor theatre that Cody, Verna and Ma duck into is the now-demolished San Val Drive-In at 2720 Winona Avenue in Burbank, California - the second drive-in theater to open in California, after the "Drive-In Theatre" on Pico Boulevard in Los Angeles. The marquee at the San Val lists Warner Bros.' South of St. Louis and United Artists' Siren of Atlantis, however, seen on the screen, are action scenes from Warner Bros.' Task Force, which Ma refers to by name in the film. All three films were released in September of 1949, the same time as White Heat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Heat

Date: 07/04/15 11:54
Author: jgilmore

BaltoJoey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Look Ma! Top of the world!"

Classic ending!! I love that scene, nobody could play a psycho like Jimmy Cagney...

JG

Date: 07/04/15 12:48
Author: penncentral74

jgilmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BaltoJoey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "Look Ma! Top of the world!"
>
> Classic ending!! I love that scene, nobody could
> play a psycho like Jimmy Cagney...
>
> JG

How about Richard Widmark?  He was in a classic with SP equipment in the background of an Army training camp.  He was a drill Sergeant in that movie, but he could be frightening as a gangster also.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds