Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Nostalgia & History > CB&Q 9960C, a California Zephyr F3A

Date: 07/06/15 12:14
CB&Q 9960C, a California Zephyr F3A
Author: MartyBernard

Yesterday I said incorrectly in a comment that the CB&Q bought F7s to pull its portion of the California Zephyr.  I was corrected by Spoony81 since they were F3s, not F7s.  I then realized I have photos of them in their freight colors.  Here is a photo and the caption to it I wrote a few years ago:

CB&Q 9960C is seen working the RIP track at Eola (IL) Yard on September 1, 1964.  RIP stands for "repair in place."  This F3 was part of three sets of ABA F3s bought in 1947 for new California Zephyr because the WP and DRG&W were going to use F units.  Because they did not fit well into the E unit rotation the Q used, they were regeared for freight operation and their steam generators were removed.

I can't remember ever seeing a picture of them in their Zephyr colors.  I looked at RR Picture Archieves -- none.  Does anybody have one or know where one is posted?

Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/15 12:16 by MartyBernard.

Date: 07/06/15 12:28
Re: CB&Q 9960C, a California Zephyr F3A
Author: HotWater

MartyBernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yesterday I said incorrectly in a comment that the
> CB&Q bought F7s to pull its portion of the
> California Zephyr.  I was corrected by Spoony81
> since they were F3s, not F7s.  I then realized I
> have photos of them in their freight colors. 
> Here is a photo and the caption to it I wrote a
> few years ago:
>
> CB&Q 9960C is seen working the RIP track at Eola
> (IL) Yard on September 1, 1964.  RIP stands for
> "repair in place."  This F3 was part of three
> sets of ABA F3s bought in 1947 for new California
> Zephyr because the WP and DRG&W were going to use
> F units.  Because they did not fit well into the
> E unit rotation the Q used, they were regeared for
> freight operation and their steam generators were
> removed.
>
> I can't remember ever seeing a picture of them in
> their Zephyr colors.  I looked at RR Picture
> Archieves -- none.  Does anybody have one or know
> where one is posted?
>
> Marty Bernard

I'm sure there has been a photo published someplace of one of the A-B-A F3 sets in passenger service, maybe even powering the Zephyr, in their silver painted livery with the black nose strip styling.

Date: 07/06/15 13:12
Author: ATSF100WEST

Ask, and ye shall receive.....

Zephyr Painted F3's

CB&Q's F3 sets received smooth passenger pilots, dual headlights, steam generators and 56:21 gearing. These units wore CB&Q's black nose stripes during their lives as passenger units. E units wore both red or black nose striping during their passenger service. The F3A units received the "A" or "C" suffix in their road number while the F3B units received a "B" suffix.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/15 13:28 by ATSF100WEST.

Date: 07/06/15 13:13
Author: Spoony81

Date: 07/06/15 21:26
Author: MartyBernard

Yes, thanks.  There are a few in there.  They are all qiute small  I wish Google would give its source for the photos. BUt at least I can say I've sen some.

How does Google get away with copyright violations.  I find my photos often in searches like this.  Actually there is one in this search that has a copyright symbol and my name, yet they copied it.  All photos belong to the photographer and copying them with out the photgrapher's permission is breaking the law.

Marty Bernard

Date: 07/07/15 00:11
Author: Notch16

Google is a search engine. If your photo appears on a website anywhere, Google (or other search engines) will probably find it and display a thumbnail in an "image" search, or a link if a "web" search. Usually a displayed link will provide the searching party with access to the original location of the photo that came up in the search, but that's dependent on where that photo ended up, and how popular that page happens to be. In the case of an experimental Google image search I just made for photos under the search phrase "Marty Bernard rail photos" I was able to roll over the resulting thumbnails and see a direct link to the posted site where the search engine found the photo, and Railpictures.net was a top hit, with Google directing and linking me to that site and a page of Marty Bernard-credited photos. Bing operates in similar fashion. And if I kept rolling over photos, I'm sure I'd eventually find a link to your F3 photo above, taking me directly to this page, where I'd then be reading these words! 

It would seem as if such display qualifies as "publishing" -- but according to common internet custom and perhaps current copyright law -- it's not. (I can't say, and don't know.) But as many people have said: once your photo is on the internet, anywhere, it's up to the honor system to prevent further copying or distribution. And the honor system is not particularly noted as a feature of the internet. 

Finding your electronically posted or shared photos in a Google or Bing search thumbnail or link (even finding one of your own copyrighted photos used as the cover image on someone else's personal Facebook page, as I did one day) is a fact of life in the 21st Century. And the subsequent path that any posted photo might take is up to the individual discretion of every internet user on the planet. 

It's the cost of sharing electronically, and the consequence of hitting the return key. The only way to have partial control is to limit the resolution and size of the photos you post to public websites. That way the hi-resolution image can be maintained for print or retained for licensed use. But nothing can stop someone from duplication, and while copyright laws still exist, copyright enforcement is another issue. This is a huge issue, as artist's rights to control their own images or collections and derive income from them become democratized and de-monetized by public sharing as a common practice. In other words, some people deeply believe that everything should be free and published on the internet, and some people feel entitled to compensation for work created no matter where or when it's sampled. It's probably the biggest dilemma facing creative artists (and that includes rail photographers). 

Anyhow... I tend to take it as a backhand compliment and probably an advantage overall that stuff I have posted can be discovered by someone who would otherwise never have known anything about my efforts. It's a two-edged sword, publishing anywhere electronically, even on a subscription site like TO. And it will remain so until the internet -- whatever "the internet" is -- finally puts the last piece of unpublished information up on the web and for free, and the last bitcoin is exchanged for the privilege of exclusive rights to an image. 

Sorry in advance if any of this sounds too elementary, too convoluted, or contains gross errors or inaccurate generalizations. I found this info on the internet. 

~ BZ

Date: 07/07/15 00:57
Author: SD45X

The BNSF comedy channel(work TV) had some movie clips of the Fs shiny new across the prarie with the Zephyr. Don't know if they put that stuff up for the public to see on their website.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds