Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Nostalgia & History > Loco Drawings By Pat McMahon-Railroad Record Club

Date: 07/31/15 20:21
Loco Drawings By Pat McMahon-Railroad Record Club
Author: sig292

I was looking over some of my Railroad Record Club LPs recently and I remembered how much I enjoyed the locomotive and interurban car drawings on the covers. An artist named Pat McMahon drew the art on most of the LPs I have and they are very detailed and, I think, exceptionally well done.
Can anyone tell me about this artist? Are any of his drawing available for sale or viewing?
Internet search turned up nothing. I know these drawings are over 50 years old but an artist this good shouldn't be completely forgotten.
Thanks for any info,
Ken Gear

Date: 08/01/15 17:46
Re: Loco Drawings By Pat McMahon-Railroad Record Club
Author: CNW

I did not know Marshall P. (Pat) McMahon personally, but I have a numbered print of one of his paintings on my wall.  The print shows a 1970s era C&NW freight crossing the St Croix River.  Pat had published drawings in Model Railroader and Trains magazine as well as North Western Lines (the official publication of the CNWHS).  Pat worked for the Minneapolis Star Tribune as an illustrator, and did wildlife paintings.

The above information is from his obituary published in the Fall 1986 issue of North Western Lines magazine.  The issue has a list of his published railroad artwork.

Dennis

Date: 08/01/15 20:06

Thanks very much for the info. I would like to find an archive of his railroad drawings. I now have some place to start.
Thanks Again!
Ken

Date: 08/01/15 20:15
Author: SR2

Marshall was a truly great man and artist. I was fortunate to be with him on several excursions, and he
always made the trip a little brighter.  Marshall tragically died in a boating accident in July, 1986
at the age of 54 years.  I have one of his signed prints of the new diesel-powered "400" adjacent to
the heavyweight "400" passing in the opposite direction.  His work was always of highest quality.

Date: 08/01/15 20:24

I am very interested in his work illustrating the covers of the Railroad Record Club LPs. Anyone have any information?
Thanks!
Ken

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.057 seconds