Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Nostalgia & History > Joint N&W/Southern passenger trains

Date: 08/01/15 07:53
Joint N&W/Southern passenger trains
Author: twropr

Did trains in the 1960's such as the PELICAN and BIRMINGHAM SPECIAL use Southern power while they ran over the N&W between Lynchburg and Bristol?  Did N&W contribute any equipment?   Was the station at Bristol in TN or VA?

Thanks!
Andy

Date: 08/01/15 09:11
Re: Joint N&W/Southern passenger trains
Author: krm152

The N&W TT dated Feb 25, 1970 indentified Bristol for both SOU and N&W as VA.
The SOU TT dated Sep 28 1969 identified Bristol as for SOU as TN and for N&W as VA-TN.
The OCT 1969 Official Guide identified Bristol as TN-VA for both SOU and N&W.
My guess is that the depot was joint and possibly located on the state line.
As an aside, the state line goes through the middle of main street in downtown Bristol.
ALLEN

Date: 08/01/15 09:34
Author: krm152

Before N&W went to diesels, they used their steam engines on their portion of the runs.
Atfer N&W went to diesels, I have seen photos of both their diesels and SOU diesels on these trains.  I suspect they reviewed their arrangements from time to time.  As economics changed, the use of engines changed.
Only ever saw N&W on SOU on the short seven mile stretch between Monroe and Lynchburg.
ALLEN

Date: 08/01/15 11:01
Author: johnacraft

twropr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Was the station at Bristol in TN or VA?

N&W had a yard and roundhouse in VA.

SOU had a small yard in TN, its locomotives were serviced at the N&W roundhouse.

The joint passenger and freight station was owned by the N&W, and sat between the two yards in VA. 

State St., the VA/TN border, is at the south end of the station.

The station still exists.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.594901,-82.18027,3a,75y,45.17h,81.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sK8kyKN5RTQGDLXXbBZ2koQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/15 11:16 by johnacraft.

Date: 08/01/15 14:00
Author: Lackawanna484

Trains Mag had a picture in the mid-1950s of Southern diesels pulling a joint train north out of Bristol during one of the many coal strikes in the era.  The caption was something along the lines of the strike side lined N&W's steam power, but Southern Railway wasn't affected...

Date: 08/01/15 18:56
Author: Jimbo

During the 1960's Southern E, F and FP units operated through on the joint TENNESSEAN, PELICAN, and BIRMINGHAM SPECIAL.  N&W contributed passenger equipment to the trains.  For instance, the dining car on the PELICAN was an N&W heavyweight car.

As others have stated, the joint passenger station was located in Virginia.

Date: 08/02/15 18:19
Author: AJnCorrie

1) Looking from Tennesse across State Street to the Depot in Virginia
2) Looking at a NS freight crossing over from Tennessee to Virginia at the depot in Bristol

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds