Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Nostalgia & History > How about Sierra Ry Sunday

Date: 08/02/15 12:09
How about Sierra Ry Sunday
Author: lamta_jay

Once a month from 1988 until 1992 I called on a bike shop in Sonora, California. Instead of staying in Sonora overnight  I stayed in Oakdale. By staying there on Monday night I could make the easy drive to Riverbank to watch the Santa Fe action. Oakdale also alowed me to sometimes see the SP Oakdale local which by the time I was in the area used mostly Santa Fe trackage to get to what was left of the SP line from Stockton to Merced. By 1988 only the tracks in Oakdale were in use.

My interest of the Sierra Railway started with a copy of The Western Railroader dated 1955. I was lucky to cover this area for my employer. Oh ya, I still have that copy of The Western Railroader issue 186  third printing August 1962.

But on Tuesdays , if I was lucky, The Sierra was usually making up their train around 7am for a run up to  Chinese and Standard. I picked out these 3 shots I took over 3 years I made this trip.

Just curious, when did the Gypsum plant south of Sonora stop using rail  ?   While was in the area I never saw any cars spotted at the Gypsum Plant

#1 Getting ready to head out of town. Friendly crew offered me a ride, I had to decline. 1990
#2 Train nears Cooperstown where my chase ended and I had to go north to the state highway. 1991
#3 Short train on this frosty morning and only one operating unit, just east of Oakdale.....1989

Thanks for looking

Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/15 12:10 by lamta_jay.

Date: 08/02/15 12:23
Re: How about Sierra Ry Sunday
Author: WAF

I don't think that Gypsum plant ( lime) has shipped since 1970 by rail?

Date: 08/02/15 14:45
Author: callum_out

A gypsum plant? On Lime Kiln Road??

Out

Date: 08/02/15 15:43
Author: WAF

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A gypsum plant? On Lime Kiln Road??
>
> Out
Yup

Date: 08/02/15 17:33
Author: SierraRail

Wasn't Gypsum.  United States Lime Products owned the plant at Milepost 44.5.  Nearly all of the lime was shipped out on S.P. to South San Francisco, and used in the making of glass.  All shipments switched to trucks in 1971 and forced Sierra Railroad management to restore steam passenger operations from Jamestown to increase revenue.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds