Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Nostalgia & History > Nicknames for dwarf signals

Date: 08/03/15 09:15
Nicknames for dwarf signals
Author: twropr

Some of the roads I used to work for had colorful names for dwarfs.  On the B&M they were known as jacks and on the D&H they were bugs.  I've also heard them called pots.
Just wondering if anyone else had some interesting names for these?
Andy

Date: 08/03/15 09:46
Re: Nicknames for dwarf signals
Author: switchlamp

On SP all I ever knew them as were pot signals.  I like your other 2 names too.
Tom

Date: 08/03/15 10:06
Author: TAW

switchlamp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On SP all I ever knew them as were pot signals.
also B&O, NYC, IHB, BRC, WAB, CWI, CRIP, ATSF, GMO, IC that I can think of right off.

TAW

Date: 08/03/15 10:09
Author: goldcoast

SP also known as "short arms".

Date: 08/03/15 10:27
Author: EtoinShrdlu

>SP also known as "short arms".

The only times I recall hearing crews referring to short arms were for the diverging (home) blade on a semaphore interlocking signal ("down on the short arm").

>Why were dwarfs/pots used instead of a signal on a tall pole?

Mostly clearance issues but also $money$. When between adjacent tracks, they couldn't exceed the clearance lines from the ground, which essentially formed a triangular opening about 3 feet tall. In situations where they didn't need to be visible over great distances, like leaving controlled sidings, etc. pot were used> Occasionally they were occasionally mounted on the tops of masts, which were about 30% the height of the regular masts. These days it's tall masts everywhere, period (excepting of course for those jungle gym signal bridges).

Date: 08/03/15 10:49
Author: wabash2800

Dwarfs were generally slow speed signals like on sidings, etc.

Date: 08/03/15 11:16
Author: mopac1978

The best one I've heard for dwarf signals came from an Amtrak engineer - he referred to any dwarf signal with a lunar aspect as a "moon midget".

Date: 08/03/15 12:00
Author: spnudge

On the SP, Pot Signal. I remember the one on the westbound main in Santa Barbara. The speed was 25, I think and if you didn't look for it, get ready for some time off. The Trainmaster, GCT, loved to put the light out, day or night. It was too easy to miss or get by.

Nudge

Date: 08/03/15 12:22
Author: 6ET

What was the purpose of the pot signal on the main in Santa Barbara?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/03/15 13:11
Author: BoilingMan

Santa Barbara in the late 70's
I can't answer as to it's pupose, but if you look closely you can see the pot signal (clear) way down in the mist, past the end of the Elwood Local here- about half way between the box car and #11's headlight.
SR Bush
Dutch Flatter, and former Barbarian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/15 13:13 by BoilingMan.

Date: 08/03/15 16:37

It was just left in place after the yard was taken out.  (Clearance issues as stated in earlier posts)There used to be a crossover from the yard to the east & west main. There were still a few spurs that it protected.

Nudge

Date: 08/03/15 18:11
Author: dbinterlock

I remember reading a Trains story article years ago where the pot signal was called a "runty." Possibly on EL trackage.

Date: 08/03/15 20:30
Author: EtoinShrdlu

>What was the purpose of the pot signal on the main in Santa Barbara?

Before we get too confused over what "on the main" means, each end of DT at SBA had spring switches, and it was normal SP practise for a signal to be in advance of a spring switch in the trailing direction (to single track). This was definitely true at W Santa Barbara.

Most of the time there was a pot on the other track for movement off that track (opposite the directly of traffic) to single track, which was equipped with a pushbutton it in case it didn't clear up automatically.

In the pic posted of the Ellwood local, that's probably a signal for the MT and a pot because of the low track speed and the lack of clearance to the track on the right (and no place to put a singal bridge). Or it's not a signal at all but a reflection which has the apperance of one, like a red coca cola can in the sun looking like a burning fusee when seen from a distance.

Date: 08/03/15 20:43

No, it's a signal. I used to watch the Elwood do it's switching while waiting to see #11 go by. Then the Elwood would follow 11 back home to Oxnard (I think).
I liked seeing that signal go on and off as the switcher tripped it (I am truly a man of simple pleasures).
I have a close up of that pot at home. If I think of it I'll add it to this thread tomorrow.
SR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/15 21:35 by BoilingMan.

Date: 08/04/15 05:32
Author: jburek

BoilingMan I know what you mean - I used to park my car at Passaic Jct. on the NYSW in Jersey just to watch the semaphore blade drop as trains would pass by - I wouldn't leave till the blade was vertical indicating clear ahead.  Your post brought back some great memories for me speaking of simple pleasures...

Date: 08/04/15 08:29

At West Santa Barb, there was a regular approach signal before the west  SS  signal.. Going east at West SBA, there was a regular signal at the switch, another along the 50 mph DT and the next one was in the left hand curve before the depot. This signal had a "WAIT" indicator controlled by the operator. This was used if you were not cleared up or stuck for a west man. The next signal was a regular one down at the old start of the yard. The last one was on the bridge at the east SS. There was a mid height  east signal off the yard lead that would clear automatically or you could hit the push button to start the time release.

At East SBA, going west, you had a double signal at the east/west SS. High green or high yellow would take you down the main. If someone had lined you into the  old yard lead, you would have a low lunar. There were two SS at east SBA. one from the yard lead to the main, and one between the east and west main. The next signal was the pot signal as discussed, and the next was at the start of the right hand curve to the DT, 50 mph.

The big difference from the way it was in the late 60s and what it was like in the 50s and before was as follows: The yard was in operation. The moves were controlled by switchmen and or herders. There was a crossover west of the depot between the mains to add point helpers on a west passenger if needed. They had other crossovers down towards the east end of the yard. There were all kinds of industries north of the west main. There were other switches that you would use to get in or out of the yard. Sometimes, a slower west passenger would be run the wrong way to just west of the depot in order to get a hotter west 1st class train around them.  All this was done by switchmen or herders. There were other regular freights and locals in the mix. Very busy place. 

My grandfather choose to get his LCL & express for the ranch in Goleta, at the Goleta depot. 

Nudge 

Date: 08/04/15 09:19

Thanks for the great description Nudge- a perfect example of why TO gets my $$ each year!

Here's my close up of the signal in the Elwood Local photo I posted above.    This was in the 70's, so that would be Santa Barbara Street crossing about where the fog swallows up any details.  The team tracks are off to the right and the old freight house site too, a bit further west.
SR

(I'm afraid we've totally hi-jacked this tread....   oops)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/15 09:23 by BoilingMan.

Date: 08/04/15 23:35
Author: ats90mph

Here is another one about that very signal in Santa Barbara from a few years ago...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2143372,2143372#msg-2143372

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0975 seconds