Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Nostalgia & History > MP 9007

Date: 08/04/15 14:28
MP 9007
Author: JFArrFan

Missouri Pacific 9007 is seen at here at Hinkle, Oregon on April 25, 1987.

Jonathan Fischer
West Seattle, WA

Date: 08/04/15 18:57
Re: MP 9007
Author: GP30Frank

It's been awhile, but isn't that a C36-7 ?  Weren't these units the last ones ordered by MoPac, before the merger ?  If I remember correctly (?),  they didn't last long.

Frank, in Tennessee

Date: 08/04/15 21:30
Author: Evan_Werkema

GP30Frank Wrote:

>  It's been awhile, but isn't that a C36-7 ? 

It is indeed.

> Weren't these units the last ones ordered by
> MoPac, before the merger ? 

Sorta kinda.  The merger was approved December 22, 1982, but the decision to stop using the MP name didn't come until December 1985, just after the last C36-7's were delivered:

http://www.utahrails.net/up/post-merger-paint-mp.php

> If I remember correctly (?),  they didn't last long.

They lasted just over 15 years, which was a typical financing period for new locomotives leased rather than purchased outright in the 80's.  Most of the MP/UP C36-7's were exported to Estonia for continued service in Wisconsin Central-style paint after their service with UP was done.

http://www.utahrails.net/up-diesel-roster/up-x-mp-c36-7.php

I kind of like the looks of the later C36-7's with the dynamic brake hump, I think they looked better in NS black which makes the grilled area below the hump is less noticeable.

Date: 08/05/15 00:45
Author: MaryMcPherson

I was always partial to the 9000s.  They were regulars on intermodal trains out of Chicago such as AIZ and CHDAZ in the 90s, and we saw them quite frequently on the Chicago and Chester Subdivisions around Gorham, Illinois.  A couple of the first Kodachrome slides I shot found these engines on those trains at Murphysboro; back in the days when a railfan expedition might entail a twenty or thirty mile bicycle ride.

I've gotten a bit older and wider since......

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/15 00:49 by MaryMcPherson.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0717 seconds