Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tribute to my grandfather - Cincinnati Union Terminal

Date: 08/26/15 17:02
Tribute to my grandfather - Cincinnati Union Terminal
Author: BaltimoreOhio

Tomorrow would have been my grandfather's 102nd birthday.  He was a brakeman/conductor on the B&O Toledo Division from 1941-1975.  I am not sure of the date of the first picture, and was hoping someone on here might be able to gauge from the cars in the background (I'm guessing early 60s).  I can guarantee the date of the second picture was August 25, 2013 when we celebrated his 100th birthday at CUT.  Over 150 people showed up (even the mayor of Cincinnati stopped by) and in both pictures he is wearing the very same uniform.  I've read countless posts on Trainorders about a person's father or grandfather kickstarting ones interest in trains at a very early age.  I can relate, my grandfather did it for me, taking me for a ride in the caboose when I was 5, and the fire was lit. And he kept going to the end;  in that final year of life, we made six overnight trips, two of them after he turned 100.  In fact his very last trip was in November 2013, when we rode from Johnstown to Harrisburg and back on the PENNSYLVANIAN.  He was never bashful about sharing his opinions-  he was ecstatic when they replaced steam engines with diesels (though he did love riding steam excursions over the years);  a cupola-style caboose was far superior to a bay window;  a stop & go signal was the worst thing ever;  and as a conductor, you never, ever let some hothead engineer cost you your job.  But he loved the B&O and he loved it when we went railfanning.  And did we ever railfan;  over the years he and I chased and/or rode trains in 49 states. Horseshoe Curve, the Tehachapi Loop, Cajon Pass, the Moffat Tunnel, Grand Central Terminal.....you name it, we had been there.  I miss him every day but I was always aware of how lucky I was;  few people get 43 active years out of a grandparent.  

Date: 08/26/15 17:06
Re: Tribute to my grandfather - Cincinnati Union Terminal
Author: Dilworth

great tribute lost my dad 2 years ago think of him every day...........

Date: 08/26/15 17:32
Author: BNModeler

Awesome pictures!!!

Date: 08/26/15 17:41
Author: BruceStikkers

I love trains and equipment, but the people stories like this one are wonderful. People keep all that "stuff" working and moving along.

Bruce Stikkers
St; Joseph, IL

Date: 08/26/15 17:48
Author: DynamicBrake

Thanks for sharing a wonderful tribute to your grandfather.  He looks like a true gentleman and professional.  I envy your memories with him, as I never knew my grandfather.   

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 08/26/15 17:54
Author: engine3420

I see a 1962 Cadillac and Chevrolet.  So it should be about that period.
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/15 17:54 by engine3420.

Date: 08/26/15 18:09
Author: UP951West

Ah, that's neat ! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 08/26/15 18:12
Author: warrenpweiss

Heartwarming story.

Warren

Date: 08/26/15 18:31
Author: Gateway97

Heartwarming story and pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Date: 08/26/15 18:44
Author: bluesboyst

Awesome.. A happy 102nd Birthday to your grand dad... My dad's 107th was 8/19.....And Cincy, my favorite railroad station, ever....Remember being in there in 68 and many years after.......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/15 18:47 by bluesboyst.

Date: 08/26/15 19:39
Author: The_Chief_Way

What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 08/26/15 19:55
Author: stuporchief

Ditto to all the above. 

Date: 08/26/15 19:57
Author: gyralite

Wonderful post.  I feel sorry for these "kids" today on the railroad.  I doubt any of them will feel the connection to their occupation and industry that the true railroaders did, such as your grandfather.  He, like so many other "old heads" are a tribute to the pride in an industry that has faded away.

Date: 08/27/15 03:10
Author: ClubCar

stuporchief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ditto to all the above. 

I also agree, you were one lucky guy to have a grandfather for that many years.

Date: 08/27/15 08:27
Author: nm2320

What a wonderfully happy looking man at 100!. I think you received a lot more than just just the railroad bug from him. Part of that smile has to have been from having you as a grandchild.

Date: 08/27/15 09:01
Author: whistlepig

My grandfather was a Southern Pacific conductor for close to 60 years service.  He retired in San Luis Obispo and if not #1, was very close to it.  He had a C.P. date and I never once ever saw him out of uniform on duty.  He was a class act.

Date: 08/27/15 12:26
Author: P

I am positive I have one of those red Ohio license plates in my garage.  When I get home, I'll check to see what year it was.

What a fabulous pair of photos!

Edit:  the red plate with white numbers is from 1966.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 19:20 by P.

Date: 08/28/15 06:44
Author: RFandPFan

What a great post!  Thanks for sharing your story and photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds