Last steam Oceanview line 7-21-1956
Author: fmaffei

Looking south west from Alemaney blvd. Now  Bart  Rofway and FW 280
At SF/Daly City border.
FM photo

Date: 08/27/15 21:40
Re: Last steam Oceanview line 7-21-1956
Author: MartyBernard

Looks like a lucky grab shot.  Never-the-less wonderful.

Marty Bernard

Date: 08/27/15 21:49
Author: TonyJ

Great grab shot. I remember back when the tracks were still in place. Never lucky enough to see a train on it.

Date: 08/28/15 11:53
Author: MartyBernard

1.  Here is what the scan would have looked like if you had used VueScan with the "Restore Fading" Filter turned on.  Most of the pink is gone.

2. After running it through Neat Image to reduce the noise, then wth my photo editor rotating it, getting the green out of the sky and train cars, removing some more pink, doing some speck removal, and sharpening it.  The upper right corner still needs some work but I'm pretty happy withn the rest of the photo.

Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/15 11:58 by MartyBernard.

Date: 08/28/15 16:02
Author: Evan_Werkema

MartyBernard Wrote:

> 2. After running it through Neat Image to reduce
> the noise, then wth my photo editor rotating it,
> getting the green out of the sky and train cars,
> removing some more pink, doing some speck removal,
> and sharpening it. 

Take a look at the the pavement behind the car on the left and the vegetation below the second and third coaches in your second image, compared to how those areas look in the original.  Those strange, smeary swirls are one reason why I'm leary of noise reducers - they tend to smoothe out distant gravel and vegetation in unnatural ways.  I'm also seeing some strange artifacts in the sky around the steam plume and the wires to the right.  Not sure what causes that. 

Regarding color correction, on a "low louds and fog" day on the peninsula, colors won't be vibrant anyway, but I think the photo can handle a bit more saturation and still keep the magenta at bay.  This is what I got out of Photoshop using Levels for the bulk correction, Curves for fine tuning, and Hue/Saturation and Selective Color to bring back a bit of saturation, plus a bit of sharpening.  I'm curious how my version looks on your monitor, since there will inevitably be differences (I'm using a laptop with an LCD screen calibrated with a Spyder3).

Also, here is the excursion flyer from the Western Railway Museum Archives.  Thank for posting, Frank!  Did you get any shots on the State Belt part of the trip?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/15 16:12 by Evan_Werkema.

Date: 08/29/15 08:42
Author: Milwaukee

What was the grade on that stretch of line?  While the photo isn't completely level, it looks like a decent climb.

Thanks for sharing this angle shot with us.  Not the normal view.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0527 seconds