Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe Sunday

Date: 08/30/15 08:38
Santa Fe Sunday
Author: lamta_jay

Good Santa Fe Sunday

Just scanned some more of my Santa Fe Kodachrome slides.

#1....taken just east of Summit 1974
#2.....Arcadia, California and the Highland Park Turn headed to Pasadena as a Cab-Hop  1984.
#3.....Tehachapi, California 6/25/1985  crossing from the south track to the north track to avoid a slow order.

Thanks for looking, I have 3 more

Jay

Date: 08/30/15 08:40
Re: Santa Fe Sunday
Author: UP951West

Like #3  with the cantilever signal . Thanks for posting.

Date: 08/30/15 08:47

These are all Lee Meyers Kodachrome slides. Lee NEVER used anything but Kodachrome

#4.....San Bernardino visitor a GP9 very rare in SoCal probably sent to the shop for repairs
         and a paint job....1-10-1974
#5.....Midland, California which happens to be on the Ripley District. Train is headed North
         to Rice on the Cadiz Subdivision
#6.....If you like Kodachrome diesels here is the best I can do. 3 F45's and 1 FP45 just
         west of Summit. Feb 15, 1986

That all I got for today, thanks for looking

Jay

Date: 08/30/15 09:16
Author: PasadenaSub

NIce looking group, Jay.  I love the Arcadia and GP9 shots.  Did you get any pictures in Glendora back in those days?

Rich

Date: 08/30/15 09:32

Only one and it was not great !

Jay

Date: 08/30/15 10:18
Author: mwbridgwater

#4 raises an interesting question for me:  What was the last unit to receive the "pinstripe" paint scheme, and the date?

Mark

Date: 08/30/15 12:06
Author: Evan_Werkema

mwbridgwater Wrote:

> #4 raises an interesting question for me:  What
> was the last unit to receive the "pinstripe" paint
> scheme, and the date?

The blue and yellow warbonnet was adopted in mid-1972, but according to the Santa Fe Railway Diesel Locomotive Painting & Lettering Guide for Model Railroaders, it took less time to paint units in the obsolescent pinstripe scheme than in blue and yellow warbonnet.  As a result, whenever the backlog at the San Bernardino, CA paint booth got too long, a few units were redone in the old scheme to get them out the door.  The book doesn't give a complete list, but includes photos of GP30 3204, GP35 3414, SD40 5009, and F45 5923.  It says SD45 5582 was the last full repaint in the old scheme, completed in February 1978.

In the case of 2947, it looks like the paint shop just retraced what the locomotive was wearing, as the road number under the cab is still off-center.  The unit had been renumbered from 747 in 1969/70 - note how the "29" in the number board is a different typeface compared to the factory-style numerals that make up the "47."  The road number under the cab window ended up offset to the left when they painted out the lead "7" and added "29," and this anomaly was retained when the unit was repainted.

Date: 08/30/15 12:12
Author: Out_Of_Service

mwbridgwater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #4 raises an interesting question for me:  What
> was the last unit to receive the "pinstripe" paint
> scheme, and the date?
>
> Mark

which is in my opinion the best Santa Fe paint scheme there was ... at least for freight units ...

what's with that Cadiz consist with the intermodal and 2 mixes freight cars ... covered hoppers and the bare flat exemplifying the perfect model railroad consist ...

Date: 08/30/15 13:35
Author: PasadenaSub

Thanks Jay, but I would disagree.  Although the train is distant in your photo, it really shows how much the area to the left of the tracks has changed - and also shows the spur that used to exist to the customer just west of Vermont Avenue.  Here's one from the same spot in Glendora from 2013 for comparison, featuring the Pasadena Local running as a light engine on its way west to Irwindale.

Rich

lamta_jay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only one and it was not great !
>
>
> Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 13:37 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 08/30/15 14:23
Author: sanjacmodels

jay the location please

Date: 08/30/15 16:11

Glendora, California
ATSF Second District
LA Division
Coast Lines

Looked through my slides (or part of them) and Glendora seemed to be not a popular location in my youth.

Have a few from San Dimas-Pomona-Claremont-Upland-Kaiser-San Bernardino or San Berdoo

Jay

Date: 08/31/15 00:15
Author: mwbridgwater

Thanks, Evan.  Great information, as always.

Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds