Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Nostalgia & History > CP/B&M at Wells River Vermont 1969.

Date: 08/31/15 05:07
CP/B&M at Wells River Vermont 1969.
Author: kgmontreal

Canadian Pacific and Boston & Maine had a successful freight route from New England to Detroit via Canada.  On CPR the overhead business was carried by trains 903/904 and 915/916.  These were hot trains that offered a discount rate and fast transit times that could not be matched by an all U.S. route (especially during Penn Central years).

Between Montreal and White River Jct, Vermont CP and B&M frequently pooled power.  The official change from CP to B&M rails was at Wells River, Vermont although in practical terms it was really White Jct.  The southbound CP freight shown here in May 1969 at Wells River has an all B&M lashup led by the disreputable 4228A trailed by an EMD B-unit and an RS-3.

KG

Date: 08/31/15 06:58
Re: CP/B&M at Wells River Vermont 1969.
Author: CPR_4000

That was my favorite line in New England.

The mileage split between WRJ and Newport was about 2/3 CPR and 1/3 B&M. Back in the day, three freights covered that route in each direction; two ran with CPR power and crews, and one with B&M. In later years when only one train ran in each direction, I believe CPR crews covered the run for 8 months and B&M crews got the other 4. Also, in later years B&M and CPR power was mixed on these trains between Newport and Springfield, Mass. until the FRA decided (late 70's or early 80's) that mixing units with electric sand actuation (B&M) and air actuation (CPR) was verboten. After that, solid CPR or B&M consists were used.

Service started to decline after Guilford took over the D&H and tried to divert traffic to the D&H by providing poor service on the B&M leg of the joint route. A big nail in the coffin was when a bridge on the B&M in Wells River (just south of the division post) was washed out and Guilford dragged its feet on repairing it, putting the route out of service for months. IIRC, the bridge was finally repaired with state funds.

But, it was nice while it lasted!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/15 07:00 by CPR_4000.

Date: 08/31/15 13:41
Author: Out_Of_Service

my son got married in E Burke Vt in 2012 ... i followed this line from Newport to St Johnsbury ... to my dismay i never saw a train ...

Date: 08/31/15 13:57
Author: CPR_4000

It's operated now by Washington County Railroad, part of Vermont Rail System. I don't think they run every day, maybe tri-weekly?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0297 seconds