Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Maroon Monday with Posies

Date: 08/31/15 12:13
A Maroon Monday with Posies
Author: MartyBernard

Late summer wild flowers in Joliet greet Rock Island AB6 751 on September 1, 1969.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Date: 08/31/15 12:30
Re: A Maroon Monday with Posies
Author: BigSkyBlue

Nice pic.  It is obviously equipped with a Mars signal light in this photo.  But has anyone ever seen a photo of RI 750 or 751 with the oscillating headlight lit?  I've never seen one.   BSB  

Date: 08/31/15 12:38
Author: HotWater

BigSkyBlue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice pic.  It is obviously equipped with a Mars
> signal light in this photo.  But has anyone ever
> seen a photo of RI 750 or 751 with the oscillating
> headlight lit?  I've never seen one.   BSB  

Yes, nice photo. Concerning the Mars Light, it sort of looks like a red one, thus would only come on automatically if the air brakes went into emergency. Of course, the Engineer could turn it on manually, but they rarely did with the red Mars Lights.

Date: 08/31/15 13:21
Author: The_Chief_Way

"Custom orders won't upset us."  When EMD got it done.

Date: 08/31/15 16:20
Author: Bob3985

Jack is right. That light on top was a red lensed Marrs light that wa activated by an emergency application or the engineer could activate for flag protection when a Mainline laid between the train and the station, just as on UP 844.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/31/15 16:48
Author: NebraskaZephyr

This is a Bob Davis photo that was posted here a while back. Looks like an illuminated white oscillating light up top to me.

Saved it for the same reason as BSB...I hadn't seen one lit, either!

NZ

Date: 08/31/15 17:11
Author: MartyBernard

Of my photos of RI commuter trains with an F or E unit leading, I'd say about 1/3 have the Mars light operating.  Attached is and example on a bright afternoon.

Marty Bernard

Date: 08/31/15 21:16
Author: BigSkyBlue

Awesome pic of the AB6 with the white Mars light on.  Thank you for posting.   BSB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds