Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Nostalgia & History > Critter Hunt #4, Snoqualmie

Date: 08/31/15 13:25
Critter Hunt #4, Snoqualmie
Author: MartyBernard

Here is a recycled critter at the Northwest Railway Museum.  It is a Whitcomb 12-DM-38 originally built as 3-foot gauge for Bechtel and rebuilt as standard gauge by the Southern Pacific for work at the Oakland docks.  It now sits in the green space next to the Museum's depot.  The critter was recycled to playground equipment.  Local kids and kids of parents visiting the Museum play on it all the time.    In 2011 it badly needed painting.

1. I had just begun on the body work (brown primer).  The roof was removed.

2. The Museum's Executive Director, Richard Anderson, painting.

3. and 4.  After photos.  Also shows the stairs I built for it.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/15 15:29 by MartyBernard.

Date: 08/31/15 13:26
Re: Critter Hunt #4, Snoqualmie

Date: 08/31/15 14:43
Author: miralomarail

Looks like a Milwaukee or a small Brookville, Dupont Chemical I think had some of these in the Tacoma area

Date: 08/31/15 15:33

miralomarail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a Milwaukee or a small Brookville,
> Dupont Chemical I think had some of these in the
> Tacoma area

The second sentence in my introduction gives nost of the heritage.  It is definately a Whitcomb.  If you look closely you can see a "W" on the journal lids.

Marty Bernard

Date: 08/31/15 17:09
Author: Evan_Werkema

Wonder if anything of the original is left besides the journal lids and the center portion the frame.  Even the radiator says "Ingersoll Rand" instead of "Whitcomb."

http://www.rgusrail.com/album/wanrm/jh_baxter_6c_01.jpg

The museum's site says SP used it at a tie treating plant in Oakland.  The locomotive later swam the estuary to work at J.H. Baxter's tie treating plant in Alameda, CA, then traveled north to finish its career in Renton, WA. 

http://www.rgusrail.com/wanrm.html

Baxter's Alameda plant was evidently off Clement Ave. west of Park St. where Extra Space Storage is now.  Where was SP's tie plant located in West Oakland relative to current landmarks? 

Good looking set of stairs, Marty.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds