Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > Chrome's Welcome Sign

Date: 09/02/15 21:35
Chrome's Welcome Sign
Author: MartyBernard

Chrome SW1 #1 sat by the front gate at Silvis, IL on July 11, 1988.  She is EMD serial number 10111 built in July 1949.

Is she still there?  I have not been back. Chrome, of course, is a rebuilder of locomotives in the ex-CRI&P shops and yard.

Comments are always welcome,
Marty Bernard

Date: 09/03/15 00:08
Re: Chrome's Welcome Sign
Author: Evan_Werkema

NRE bought the Silvis facility about 25 years ago.  The buildings in the background of your shot still stand, but I sure can't find the SW1-turned-billboard in current aerials of the facility.

Date: 09/03/15 07:13
Author: BaltoJoey

Here is what I could come up with.
(ex – CRI&P # 535, B/N-1684) 

I hope  it helps.

Date: 09/03/15 09:38
Author: retcsxcfm

I don't remember it being there in 2012.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,fl.

Date: 09/03/15 12:31
Author: trainboy03

That's really neat!  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of that.  Judging by the angle of the buildings, the entrance was still off 19th Ave at the far west end.  I don't know the timeline, but after the yard was removed the entrance was changed to 9th Street, where the pedestrian bridge was located.  When IAIS rebuilt the yard tracks, a new entrance was built to the far east end, accessed by Barstow Road.

Erik

Date: 09/03/15 16:10
Author: DNRY122

Chrome (originally Chrome Crankshaft) had facilities here in Southern California for several years--one of their storage spots was just a few blocks from the So. Calif. Edison complex where I worked in Alhambra.  I have a vague recollection of a Chrome Crankshaft location in the former Pacific Electric yard on the south side of San Bernardino.

Date: 09/03/15 17:29
Author: usmc1401

San Benardino Chrome location was in the ATSF "B" yard.

Date: 09/04/15 01:53
Author: BaltoJoey

Here is a pic of it in Rock Island colors.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1404777

Date: 09/04/15 12:41
Author: SteveD

Also a station on Coos Bay Rail Link between Coos Bay and Coquille, but w/o loco. 

Steve Donaldson
Pacific Grove, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds