Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Nostalgia & History > The eight Chicago Great Western GP30's

Date: 09/03/15 01:21
The eight Chicago Great Western GP30's
Author: ATSF100WEST

In this image taken by the late Robert (Bob) Malinowski, we see 50% of the Great Western' GP30 roster, and with them came the last new CGW paint scheme, replacing the "maroon dip" that had been introduced in 1954. Their famous "Lucky Strike" herald adorned the cab sides, and the unit number placed below that on the battery box doors.

Observant railfans would note that there was a striking similarity between this scheme and the scheme that adorned Kansas City Southern GP30's. William N. Deramus III was at the helm of the KCS when they ordered theirs, but he had previously served in the same capacity at the MKT, and prior to that headed up the CGW. The common theme that links all three roads was the color red - and as such - there is a shade known as "Deramus Red". Circling back to the CGW, while Deramus approved the "Maroon Dip" on his watch, his successor, Edward T. Reidy, had worked under Deramus, as VP and General Manager. So I think it no coincidence that their GP30's wore the same colors of red and black. Their final new locomotives, nine new SD40's, came painted in the same scheme.

On July 1, 1968, the CGW was merged into the C&NW. It remains one of the scant few railroads I never saw a train on as I grew up in Chicago, despite crossing their main line any number of times.

The setting for this image no longer provides any evidence that a Class I Railroad once existed here, save for the name of its' "rails-to-trails" metamorphosis - lovingly dubbed the "Great Western Trail".

Thanks for looking back with Mr. Malinowski and me.....

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 09/03/15 05:02
Re: The eight Chicago Great Western GP30's
Author: SCKP187

Nice photo. I didn't ever get to see any of these myself.  Back when there were many road paint schemes/road names and many types of models was truely the good old days.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/03/15 05:26
Author: SPDRGWfan

Interesting - CGW had low nose lights same as D&RGW.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 09/03/15 08:02
Author: ntharalson

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting - CGW had low nose lights same as
> D&RGW.
>
> Cheers, Jim
>  
Mars lights on the CGW, and also DRGW.  The CNW plated them over. 
The Q, on the other hand, had their Mars lights between the number 
boards and the headlights in the nose.  

Nice shot, Bob, thanks for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 09/03/15 08:58
Author: nomosantafe

ATSF100WEST Wrote:

>
> On July 1, 1968, the CGW was merged into the C&NW.
> It remains one of the scant few railroads I never
> saw a train on as I grew up in Chicago, despite
> crossing their main line any number of times.
>

>
> Thanks for looking back with Mr. Malinowski and
> me.....
>
> Bob
>
> ATSF100WEST......Out

Thanks for sharing and making me dust off the cobwebs in my brain.

My family took a trip on the Empire Builder from Seattle to St. Paul and back at the end of June in 1968.  We rented a car in St. Paul and visited family in central Wisconsin.  On our way back to St. Paul Union depot, we passed over a railroad yard and there was a whole bunch of red F-units.  This was my one and only encounter with Chicago Great Western.

It was a fun trip on the train and your post made me revisit memories from that wonderful trip.  I also saw Milwaukee Road 6 axle RS-3's in Merrill, WI on the old route of the North Woods Hiawatha on this trip.

Nomosantafe
Portland, Oregon
"Pacific Wonderland"

Date: 09/03/15 10:22

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> Interesting - CGW had low nose lights same as
> D&RGW.
>
> Cheers, Jim
>  

The CGW oscillating headlight was a white over red combo, vs. the DRGW having a dual white arrangement. Their nine SD40's were similarly equipped. The red lamp activated only on an emergency air brake application.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 09/03/15 10:46
Author: Chooch

Great photo by Bob. He use to be my next door neighbor when I lived in Camp Hill, PA a few years ago. He and his wife Ann were great neighbors and friends of mine. I miss them both very much.

Jim
Hatboro, PA​​

Date: 09/03/15 11:30
Author: The_Chief_Way

Nice selection and tribute to "Mal." Hope you've got some more, Bob.

Date: 09/04/15 08:12
Author: boxcar1954

Great shot, must say have seen very few good color shots of CGW. Did CGW cross CNW 'West Line' at Lombard at grade or via bridge?
Nice, looking forward to more.

Date: 09/04/15 11:45

boxcar1954 Wrote:
> Great shot, must say have seen very few good color
> shots of CGW. Did CGW cross CNW 'West Line' at
> Lombard at grade or via bridge?
> Nice, looking forward to more.

It crossed on a bridge - in fact - the train is just beginning to climb the embankment for the eastward approach to the overcrossing.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0724 seconds