Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Nostalgia & History > B&O Passenger Geep in its Final Years

Date: 09/03/15 13:18
B&O Passenger Geep in its Final Years
Author: aehouse

Baltimore and Ohio GP-9 6613 was one of 19 units of that model on the B&O roster that were equipped for passenger service.  In their earlier years, the "torpedo boat geeps" handled extra sections, locals, commuter runs and special trains.  In their last years, a few soldiered on in Baltimore-Washington and Pittsburgh area commuter service, but most served out their time in freight duties.  

The 6613 spent many of its later years as the regular yard switcher at the B&O yard in Hancock, W.V., trundling over to the Cumberland shops for periodic maintenance and inspections, then returning to Hancock.

It is shown at Hancock ca. 1980.  It was retired and traded in on SD-50s in 1984.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/15 07:36 by aehouse.

Date: 09/03/15 13:48
Re: B&O Passenger Geep in its Final Years
Author: CPR_4000

Several of these (6600-6605) ended up on the Jersey Central, apparently leased: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=60553

6601 got a head end power (for lighting) generator: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/cnj6601.jpg I wonder if they all did?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/15 13:56 by CPR_4000.

Date: 09/03/15 15:28
Author: ClubCar

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Several of these (6600-6605) ended up on the
> Jersey Central, apparently leased:
> http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=60553
>
>
> 6601 got a head end power (for lighting)
> generator:
> http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/cnj6601.jp
> g I wonder if they all did?
CPR_4000:  I don't believe your information is correct concerning those 6 engines, 6600-6605.  The 6604 is in operation with the Potomac Eagle Passenger Train in Romney, West Virginia on the South Branch Valley Railroad.  Not knowing the date of the photo above, I know for fact that the Chessie System B&O Maryland DOT Commuter Trains were being pulled by locomotives 6600, 6603 and 6606 on the Baltimore to Washington Trains and on the Brunswick to Washington Trains along with some higher numbered engines.  The Chessie System repainted all of these units pulling the passenger trains in the Chessie Paint Scheme and they continued to operate in passenger service through 1982 for sure.
John in White Marsh, Maryland     

Date: 09/03/15 17:19
Author: CPR_4000

Both of the photos I linked to show these units on the Jersey Central with B&O lettering painted out but retaining their B&O numbers. It's quite possible that the lease was terminated when CNJ went into Conrail, or even before that, and that the units went back to the B&O and received Chessie paint.

Date: 09/03/15 18:15
Author: RuleG

aehouse Wrote:
> Baltimore and Ohio GP-9 6613 was one of 19 units
> of that model on the B&O roster that were equipped
> for passenger service.  In their earlier years,
> the "torpedo boat geeps" handled extra sections,
> locals, commuter runs and special trains.  In
> their last years, a few soldiered on in
> Baltimore-Washington area commuter service, but
> most served out their time in freight duties.  
>
They were also used on the Pittsburgh - Versailles commuter rail passenger service until replaced by rebuilt F7s.  I also once rode on a Pittsburgh - Meyersdale Maple Sugar Festival excursion powered by a pair of these GP9s.

Thanks for sharing.

Date: 09/04/15 07:36
Author: aehouse

RuleG Wrote:

> >
> They were also used on the Pittsburgh - Versailles
> commuter rail passenger service until replaced by
> rebuilt F7s.  I also once rode on a Pittsburgh -
> Meyersdale Maple Sugar Festival excursion powered
> by a pair of these GP9s.
>
> Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I'll amend the original post to reference the Pittsburgh commuter service.

Art

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.059 seconds