Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Nostalgia & History > Ever Hear of the Jefferson Warrior Railroad?

Date: 09/03/15 18:51
Ever Hear of the Jefferson Warrior Railroad?
Author: MartyBernard

I found it on Aptil 11, 1992 while searching for trains in Birmingham, AL.  This is JEFW 51 is/was an SW1500 and the darn thing is remote control  ???  1992 ???.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/15 18:52 by MartyBernard.

Date: 09/03/15 18:55
Re: Ever Hear of the Jefferson Warrior Railroad?
Author: CPR_4000

Did they serve the barge terminal on the Warrior River?

Date: 09/03/15 19:04
Author: MartyBernard

It has been renamed Alabama Warrior Railway and was taken over by Watco Companies.  Here are two short Wikipedia entries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Warrior_Railroad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Warrior_Railway

Marty Bernard

Date: 09/03/15 19:09
Author: SCAX3401

The Jefferson Warrior Railroad was named because it was located in Jefferson County and was near the Warrior Coal Fields, which it served under it original name (Marylee).  It got the Jefferson Warrior name in 1985 when it became a common carrier.  It had only 15 miles of track and existed to serve to subsidaries of its parent company, Walter Industries.  It was sold to WATCO in 2009 and became the Alabama Warrior Railroad.  Its still in serve today.

Date: 09/03/15 21:29
Author: gonx

Never visited the railroad, but I remember seeing their plain jane looking boxcars (JEFW) roaming Texas in the early 90s.

Date: 09/04/15 21:18
Author: Seventyfive

I heard of the Jefferson Warrior RR a long time ago, in one of the fan magazines.  Since then I forgot all about it, so appreciate your bringing it back with the excellent photos.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds