Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Nostalgia & History > What train is this?

Date: 09/04/15 14:56
What train is this?
Author: BillMarvel

This sure didn’t look like the Rocky Mountain Rocket I was used to at the other end of the line. Hurtling through Iowa City early on the morning of June 10,1966 -- normally, its schedule would have put it here in pre-dawn darkness – what I assumed was a late-running Train 8 had E6A 631 up front and a flock of head end cars. – none of which seemed familiar to this Denver railfan. Could it be that I jotted down the wrong train number in my notebook?

Date: 09/04/15 15:02
Re: What train is this?
Author: dropframe

Don't know the train number, but I like the photo with the E6A and the two pig flats first out.

Cheers,
Larry​

Date: 09/04/15 15:38
Author: AndyBrown

Wow!  Great photo; it sure doesn't look like that out there any more.  Actually most landmarks are still there but the brush is out of control.  I don't have access to a 1966 timetable but it looks like Bluffs-Chicago train #10; it carried a lot of mail/piggybacks.

Correction- I forgot about the dedicated mail train; I think it was nos. 1&2; I'll bet this is it.

Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/15 15:40 by AndyBrown.

Date: 09/05/15 07:56
Author: ntharalson

AndyBrown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow!  Great photo; it sure doesn't look like that
> out there any more.  Actually most landmarks are
> still there but the brush is out of control.  I
> don't have access to a 1966 timetable but it looks
> like Bluffs-Chicago train #10; it carried a lot of
> mail/piggybacks.
>
> Correction- I forgot about the dedicated mail
> train; I think it was nos. 1&2; I'll bet this is
> it.
>
> Andy

Probably #2 as this is eastbound.  And Andy is correct, about the only thing changed
here is the foliage.  However, east of here is another story.  Also should note the train
is just entering Coralville.  Nice shot, thanks for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/15 07:57 by ntharalson.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds