Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sp 4460 to Fresno CA ---

Date: 10/04/15 20:32
Sp 4460 to Fresno CA ---
Author: fmaffei

# 1 & 2  I beleive this was Los Banos Ca.
    [  slide not marked -- anybody??? ]
    [ # 2 This  classie  gentleman in
    the baggage car stood  Straight
    and never rocked as we all did]
#  3 Fresno CA  [  # 51 ]

Date: 10/05/15 00:04
Re: Sp 4460 to Fresno CA ---
Author: Notch16

Railroad herald pattern shirt?

ah, the old hometown! Been enjoying this series immensely!

~ BZ

Date: 10/05/15 07:21
Author: TonyJ

Thank you Frank!

Date: 10/05/15 10:53
Author: Lone Star

Frank,

I don't think #1 is Los Banos, as the depot was on the south side of the tracks and would not work with the direction of the 4460 in the photo, assuming the train is headed east. Off of the top of my bald head, Firebaugh and Kerman were the only depots on the Westside that were to the north of the tracks at the time of the excursion. My vote is Firebaugh, given that the excursion is known to have stopped there. Great photos!

John Ford

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/15 10:58 by Lone Star.

Date: 10/05/15 13:40
Author: johnsweetser

Lone Star wrote:

> I don't think #1 is Los Banos, as the depot was on the south side of the tracks and would not work with the direction of the 4460 in the photo, assuming the train is headed east.  Off of the top of my bald head, Firebaugh and Kerman were the only depots on the Westside that were to the north of the tracks at the time of the excursion. My vote is Firebaugh, given that the excursion is known to have stopped there.

The second and third photos of the previous thread (on Oct. 2) of this trip show the train stopped at Firebaugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/15 13:41 by johnsweetser.

Date: 10/05/15 17:17
Author: Evan_Werkema

Lone Star Wrote:

> My vote is Firebaugh, given that the excursion is
> known to have stopped there. Great photos!

I'll third the motion.  Judging from photos taken by others on this trip, 4460 only made two stops on the West Side line between Tracy and Fresno: a runby between Westley and Patterson at one of the rare curves on this line, and a stationary photo op at the Firebaugh depot.

Date: 10/05/15 17:28
Author: DFWJIM

Interesting how some of the older gentlemen were weating suits and hats even for an excursion.

Date: 10/05/15 17:36
Author: agentatascadero

I'd suggest those who dressed for the occasion were disappointed, maybe even appalled, at those who were not properly attired.  As a boy in the '49s/'50s, I was properly dressed for all trips to the great downtown.....not really a suit, but slacks and a sport coat......I was so young for my first suit that it came with short pants!  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds