Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Nostalgia & History > The San Francisco Chief at Stockton 1960

Date: 10/05/15 19:39
The San Francisco Chief at Stockton 1960
Author: photobob

The eastbound San Francisco Chief arriving at Stockton in 1960.

Robert Morris Photography

Date: 10/05/15 19:54
Re: The San Francisco Chief at Stockton 1960
Author: stevelv

Bob your archive of awesome and excellently composed photos never seems to end.  This easily makes my photobob top ten list.  Great shot!
Steve B.

Date: 10/05/15 19:55
Author: 567Chant

There's no emoticon for my small, surprised gasp upon opening this.
Oh!
Simply delicious. I guess that I'm a confirmed gearhead.
Thanx!
...Lorenzo

Date: 10/05/15 20:20
Author: DynamicBrake

Great composition Bob, but then again, that's to be expected.  Thanks for sharing a great shot.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 10/05/15 22:46
Author: terrybaker

Always amazing to check out the passengers' attire compared to what we see today (and Stockton would be a good place to start).  That's how we looked when I traveled with my grandparents on their PE pass.

Thanks for the memories, Bob.

Date: 10/06/15 06:16
Author: SCKP187

Really like this one--well-kept grounds, the ritual of the crossing guard and train arriving with the  people milling around on the platform and a nice looking train and depot.
Brian Stevens

Date: 10/06/15 08:19
Author: 3rdswitch

One word, wow!
JB

Date: 10/06/15 15:30
Author: agentatascadero

Beautiful shot of a great train on a great railroad.  Odd to me that, in 1960, there were no Hi Levels in the consist, though I guess I never did learn just when they were first assigned. As for the attire factor, in 1960 riding a long distance passenger train was akin to making a trip downtown, one dressed for the occasion.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/15 16:37 by agentatascadero.

Date: 10/06/15 15:39
Author: The_Chief_Way

It wasn't until the 1964 order of new Hi-Levels that the San Francisco Chief received some.

Date: 10/06/15 15:53
Author: locogimp

Bob I am really enjoying your images from a great era in railroading. They've all been wonderful! 

Thanks for posting, Jan

Jan Austin
Chico, CA
J.G. Austin Photography

Date: 10/06/15 19:19
Author: RuleG

Well, that answers my question if Santa Fe ever assigned PAs to any of its Chiefs.

Date: 10/07/15 13:07
Author: johnsweetser

The_Chief_Way wrote:

> It wasn't until the 1964 order of new Hi-Levels that the San Francisco Chief received some.

Te be precise, the new Hi-Levels went to the El Capitan, with the San Francisco Chief receiving the El Capitan's old Hi-Levels.

This happened in the spring of 1964.  It would take a bit of research to come up with the exact date Hi-Levels started operating on the San Francisco Chief (I know where to find the info, though).

Date: 10/07/15 15:22
Author: agentatascadero

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It wasn't until the 1964 order of new Hi-Levels
> that the San Francisco Chief received some.                                                                                                                                Thanks, Chief for the info.  Silly me, I once knew that factoid, but apparently, it then went straight to one of those black holes in my old brain.  I rode that train many times, but never before the High Levels arrived.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds